Thread: Tips for shooting the IDPA classifer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    that is a lot of good advice guys. last week i went to my gun club to watch the idpa in person and was highly impressed. i already did the research in the rules and watching matches on youtube and stuff like that. i am going to sign up for membership after i go to a clinic that they are holding at my local range. while it looks fun and it is competition, i saw it more as another avenue to apply my skills learned and would consider it training to some extent. another thing i liked was that you can use your duty rig (mil/ le). once again, lots of good info. thanks.
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DANGER CLOSE View Post
    that is a lot of good advice guys. last week i went to my gun club to watch the idpa in person and was highly impressed. i already did the research in the rules and watching matches on youtube and stuff like that. i am going to sign up for membership after i go to a clinic that they are holding at my local range. while it looks fun and it is competition, i saw it more as another avenue to apply my skills learned and would consider it training to some extent. another thing i liked was that you can use your duty rig (mil/ le). once again, lots of good info. thanks.
    You will have a blast ( OK OK bad joke). Kidding aside, your worse possible moment at an IDPA match beats pushing a keyboard in a windowless room any day. The advice in this thread is really good. You can download the book off the IDPA site and it only takes one trip to the john to get through it end to end. Our club has the full range of members and it is a nice way to spend a day at the range.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks for all the tips!

I just shot the IDPA classifier for the first time this past weekend. Good fun I really appreciate all the feedback and advice on this thread, it really came in handy. Unfortunately, because I have been really busy for several weeks prior to the classifier I didn't get to practice or dry fire as much as I would have liked but still managed to pull out a "ok" performance. I had my GF out there as well and she was kicking butt! I don't know where she ended up falling in the classification scheme but she did look terrific shooting it lol

I shot my Glock 34 in SSP and ESP
    I made expert in both shooting a final score of 105 (way too many points down) in both divisions, atleast I'm consistent. I just "missed" (pun intended) my goal of making master in SSP but I'm sure I'll be able to improve on my score. On a good day I'm sure I could squirt under the bar but I'm happy that on a bad day I didn't shoot "too" shabby.

6 months till the next local classifier

GU

Feedback Score
    Good stuff !

Tagging on for more.

I like IDPA, is it end all be all? No but it is where you can shoot under pressure, work the basics and more.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Thanks for the tips, they were a big help.