Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got me some components, FINALLY!

Feedback Score
    You are bold man. Are the rifles personally or department owned? I would get hung out to dry if they ever found out I resorted to practicing with home-rolled supreme quality controlled ammunition because they are too cheap to buy me ammo....

But what they don't know don't hurt them right?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Crap. I completely forgot about this. I'll try to remember tonight.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post

But what they don't know don't hurt them right?
    Unless you Kaboom it. Suggest you wait until you have a lot more experience.

Feedback Score
    8mm, the FA rifle is dept owned. The other is mine. I have already talked to those up above about using reloaded ammo that I make, and they are ok with it. One of the guys used to a good deal of reloading and has offered his knowledge when needed. Same guy has looked at my setup, watched me run a few rounds through from start to finish, and went with me to shoot those rounds, ALL at my request. It is a pretty small PD, so that makes a huge difference! We aren't given much in the way of duty ammo, just a couple of mags worth. I have bought a few more rounds to use strictly for the duty stuff. Again, after approval. Budgetary constraints being what they are, training needs, etc., the bosses are cool with using R-L for training.

markm, Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    Unless you Kaboom it. Suggest you wait until you have a lot more experience.
    You have absolutely no reason to call my experience into question.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    You have absolutely no reason to call my experience into question.
    My comment was directed at the OP, who was clearly seeking advice. This was opposite the advice you gave him relative to reloading for a dept owned FA; which was something like: "What they don't know won't hurt them".

It would be beyond foolish for a new reloader to make such a jump without a lot of experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    My comment was directed at the OP, who was clearly seeking advice. This was opposite the advice you gave him relative to reloading for a dept owned FA; which was something like: "What they don't know won't hurt them".

It would be beyond foolish for a new reloader to make such a jump without a lot of experience.
    Fair enough, please understand my confusion, you quoted me when you said that. I won't lie I was a little upset. My statement was pertaining to my situation, not meant as advice for him. I agree with you, experience would be better in his situation but the OP has already said he does have permission. I don't have permission but its not prohibited by policy, I know what I'm doing, and they don't give me ammo so my choice is clear. I wouldn't mind F/A though..
    Last edited by eightmillimeter; 08-01-13 at 02:10.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for your input, although the thread took a little left turn .

Yes I am very new to reloading, but I am not new to the world in general. I have been engaged in LE for the better part of 24 years. I do have a couple of resources that I can call on for some help when I get in a bind. I chose to join this site due to the helpfulness that I have observed being given to other noobs, without (openly stated) judgement, criticism or other demeaning actions.

I have just ordered a new scale to weigh my charges on. The RCBS 5-0-5 is the one that's on the way, because that awesome little digital one that came with the set just isn't reliable. Trial/error and reading others posts prove very valuable. On a side note, the 10 rounds that I did load all managed to shoot well and were enough to meet my needs, practice. I shot 5 from each rifle, all within the 8 ring at 100 yards. Myself and a buddy are putting together a little arena to practice some drills. Mostly close contact stuff since our patrol rifles are only equipped with HWS. If anyone has input on some pointers for this practice area would be welcome as well.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12