Thread: century draco vs arsenal SAM7K??

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

century draco vs arsenal SAM7K??

i know nothing about ak's but have been thinking about getting one to sbr and figured id start with a pistol since they are already "tuned" for their short barrel length.

my question is, what makes the sam7 worth 2x what the draco is? i only ask because ive heard alot of people say the draco is a good quality ak? is it like comparing a dpms to a colt/bcm or like comparing a colt/bcm to kac sr-15?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personal opinion if you are going to go NFA route then do it with the best quality gear that you can since you are most likely going to have it for a long time to come. Point number one. Point number two, there is not a damn thing that Century has ever touched that makes me want anything by them, after seeing with my own eyes Century AKs fall apart I don't want anything to do with them, less since I have had one disassemble while firing in my hands. If you know what to look for in an AK then perhaps you could take an Century or a lot of Century Aks and figure out with one is in spec, have seen Ak guys who worked with them for years do just that. However, for myself or someone who doesn't know Aks that well buying something with a better reputation, even with Arsenal I believe taking some shit as of late, and at least appearing to have better QC would give me piece of mind.

Now, caveat, I am looking at this from the perspective of a gun that I am one going to have forever, and two is something I will run in a combat/oh shit situation. If you are wanting a cool range toy or it just a project that makes your dick hard(And I am not saying that to tear your idea down) and you are alright with the Century build then run with it, however before putting in the paperwork I would run it through its paces to make sure there will be no surprises when it is SBRed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would consider the M92 PAP, that is what I am SBR'ing. It has a 10" barrel, threaded FSB, and a hinged dust cover. Get stamp, add stock, DONE!
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeith View Post
    i know nothing about ak's but have been thinking about getting one to sbr and figured id start with a pistol since they are already "tuned" for their short barrel length.

my question is, what makes the sam7 worth 2x what the draco is? i only ask because ive heard alot of people say the draco is a good quality ak? is it like comparing a dpms to a colt/bcm or like comparing a colt/bcm to kac sr-15?
    iirc since the draco is imported as a pistol you're getting it the way it was produced from the factory in Romania, unlike century's rifles like the WASR which are imported as single stack and then have the magazine wells opened here.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Another vote for the PAP M92.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Feedback Score
    The Romanians stop making the Draco AK pistols, which is one of the reasons why Century Arms now imports the Zastava PAP M92 PV.

The Dracos were great when they could be bought in the $350-500 range. But, they are not so great when compared to the Zastava PAP M92 PV or the Arsenal SAM-7K.

I own a Century Arms/Romarms Draco and IMO...
    Arsenal SAM-7K > Zastava PAP M92 PV > Romarms Draco > Century Arms Centurion 39 Pistol > IO Inc Hellpup

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I can get a pap from my lgs for I think 749 if I can get it for 700 I may just take it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    iirc since the draco is imported as a pistol you're getting it the way it was produced from the factory in Romania, unlike century's rifles like the WASR which are imported as single stack and then have the magazine wells opened here.
    +1

I have a Draco AK pistol and the quality is much better than your typical Century AK's. It has a 12.5inch chrome-lined barrel and thicker receiver as well. The longer barrel is better for SBR purposes since you don't lose to much velocity vs a 7.5inch barrel. Also the magwell is untouched and not enlarged like other AK's; I cannot fit a Tapco AK mag in mine so I only use factory steel/surplus mags.

But if you had the choice between the Draco and Arsenal, I'd still go with Arsenal because they make better AK's overall (not that Draco is that inferior).