Thread: replace grip safety

Feedback Score

replace grip safety

I have a Kimber Tactical Entry II . I'd like to replace the factory grip safet, that does not have a raised memory "bump".With one that does. I have already answered tried an Ed Brown version. Obviously it was a no go. So thats what i'd like to do. Can anyone suggest one that will work? Thanks so much!

Feedback Score
    Any grip safety on a Kimber will be a fitted part so you're going to need to cut on the frame a bit. I've done a couple of Ed Browns on Kimbers and they work great. They were the first couple of beavertails I did in fact.

Your pistol has an alloy frame which will need to be recoated. That's all. If you'd prefer Type III hard anodizing I can probably help you find someone who will do your whole frame in that. It's really durable.

Any other grip safety with a .250 radius should work fine, but the Ed Brown model has always worked fairly well on Kimbers for me.

Last edited by madryan; 01-09-13 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I went with CMC on my kimber. i like it alot more than the ed brown. frame did have to be re-blended. there's really no getting around that.

"you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trappernanabg19 View Post
    ...tried an Ed Brown version. Obviously it was a no go. ...
    What made it a "no go?"

Kimber has their own version, used on the Raptor and some of their other pistols:
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/raptor-ii/raptor-ii
    It may require less fitting but will still require some work. It's available through Kimber and Brownells (and only available with the squiggly lines cut into the speed bump)

Feedback Score
    My problem was that the notch on the grip safety didn't line up with the sear spring correctly. I pretty much counted on blending the frame. As a matter on fact i even bought the Ed Brown "fitting guide"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trappernanabg19 View Post
    My problem was that the notch on the grip safety didn't line up with the sear spring correctly. I pretty much counted on blending the frame. As a matter on fact i even bought the Ed Brown "fitting guide"
    Interesting...

I recently bought a brown thumb safety and the pin was tapered so bad it wouldn't insert all the way into my TRP tangs. Got an EGW instead and no issues.