Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Alert; possible executive order information

Feedback Score

Alert; possible executive order information

I wanted to share with everyone here what I heard today from a very well placed source inside the firearms industry- word is the Obama administration had the ATF a couple months ago do a study to see the feasibility of making all semi auto assault rifles NFA items- meaning they would be handled in the same way as an SBR in terms of procuring one; it is assumed there would be an amnesty period for current owners to register the assault rifles they already have then any transfer down the line would be the same procedure as a suppressor or SBR

The gut feeling is that if Obama doesn't get from congress an assault rifle ban he likes he will do what Bill Clinton did with the Street Sweeper and use his executive powers to make semi auto AR's, AK's, FAL's, G3's, Galils, etc. NFA weapons

I personally think this is a very likely scenario in case a ban gets deadlocked in the house or senate

Just an FYI - if I hear anything more on this topic or anything else related to a potential future ban I will drop in and give everyone a data dump

Be safe and try and keep your sanity

LAV

Feedback Score

That would probably be the line for a few of us on here. I'm thinking it would probably be the line for me.
    Secession sounds better and better...I think I could deal with a the Texan summers...

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll buy up a few stupidly overpriced lowers...

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Its certainly the most believable scenario right now.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    It took almost six months for my SBR stamp, can't imagine the wait if something like this came to light. They would surely hire more staff Also, I think we all know what happens after registration...
    Last edited by NoveskeFan; 12-19-12 at 00:20.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    Executive orders need to have some foundation in existing law. POTUS cannot use executive orders to create or modify existing laws. For example, the "sporting purpose clause" that gives the AG the ability to regulate the importation of certain weapons can be found in 18 U.S.C. 925 which is a law passes by Congress and signed by POTUS. Where is the language in the NFA that gives the President the authority to extend its provisions to semiauto weapons?
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-19-12 at 00:27.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's called Executive Fiat. He can't bypass congress, the constitution, and the will of the people.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Executive orders need to have some foundation in existing law. POTUS cannot use executive orders to create or modify existing laws. For example, the "sporting purpose clause" that gives the AG the ability to regulate the importation of certain weapons can be found in 18 U.S.C. 925 which is a law passes by Congress and signed by POTUS. Where is the language in the NFA that gives the President the authority to extend its provisions to semiauto weapons?
    I'm missing the part where he follows those pesky rules?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sensei, you really think that will stop this ass clown. Remember this was the guy who said he was a "constitutional scholar" and would have the most transparent administration, who abhorred the evil Bush and his drones, executive orders, and recess appointments.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Sensei, you really think that will stop this ass clown. Remember this was the guy who said he was a "constitutional scholar" and would have the most transparent administration, who abhorred the evil Bush and his drones, executive orders, and recess appointments.
    Yes, I do think that it will stop him. That is because there is no provision in the NFA to charge people with a crime for owning an unregistered semiauto rifle. The POTUS cannot rewrite Title 18 without Congress, and charge people with crimes that do not exist. If he tries, I suggest you move to your favorite Pacific Island because it means that we have become a dictatorship.

I respect Mr. Vicker's shooting ability and prowess as a teacher. However, I believe that he was supplied with poor quality information in this instance.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    I've talked to some of my pro gun lawyer friends and they all say the same thing; there is very little if anything Obama can do with executive order in this case but they all fully expect him to push it to the limit if need be and put the burden on the NRA amongst others to spend untold man hours and resources to overturn it - all the while he and the liberal media will be trashing anyone against him as being 'uncaring' and 'not having the children's best interests in mind'

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast