Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle flash photos and sound tests. PWS FFC556 compared.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    1) Robert posted a test that quite a few people were asking for...

2) Robert hypothesized that X would happen, and it was wrong.

3) Robert admitted that his hypothesis was wrong.

4) We now have two people standing up and beating their chest based on Robert's results, and admission of a failed hypothesis.

5) Without the pictured results, and commentary, these two users would have no baseline of information for which to skewer Robert.

6) The bullshit ends at this post. Robert produced a test out of pocket, for the betterment of the shooting community. He stated he was initially incorrect. He showed the results. If you want to continue to berate him, it won't be on this board.

7) If I was unclear, please feel free to test the waters with more direct attacks on Robert, or this test.

8) Feel free to discuss the test like adults, with tact.

Feedback Score
    Ooops I was going to say to back of Robert because he was man enough to admit that his theory was wrong, but I edited it since I saw Shivan's post.

Carry on... nothing to see hear. The PWS FSC556 is an excellent product. Thanks to Robert for the time and money he spent on the test. Monday sucks.

Out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So it's ok to question trim's integrity p whatever you want to call it?

And for the record I wasn't beating my chest. I was commenting on these types of tests and other things I have first hand experience with. I feel I did a decent job of being civil.

I do understand SHIVAN wanting to make sure things didn't get carried away.

Trim was right- it's not fair to form a hypothesis before the test.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post

A hypothesis, by definition, is always formed before the test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis

"The hypothesis is a statement. It is a prediction or proposed solution to a problem based on prior knowledge or information gathered. It is an 'educated guess' about the outcome of the experiment. A hypothesis must be able to be tested."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypothesis

"a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences"

http://www.accessexcellence.org/LC/T.../writhypo.html

"In real experiments, real hypotheses should be written before the actual experiment."
    Last edited by rsilvers; 03-17-08 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Of course the hypothesis is supposed to be made before the test. Otherwise would would you be testing. The test/experiment is performed to see if the hypothesis was right or wrong.

Whether or not he should have made it public prior to the test is another issue. I think he has that right and I am glad he did.

Thanks for initiating this thread and posting the results of the your test, RSilvers. I now know more about the PWS556 and the DNTC.

RSilvers, you beat me to it.
    Last edited by David Thomas; 03-17-08 at 16:08. Reason: Rsilvers beat me to the punch re:hypothesis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    True but I was thinking of an experiment as something done without bias.

I enjoy what you provide us and the conversation I have with you but I do feel you should be careful in making your hypotheses. It can make you look bad if you are just setting out to badmouth other products.

If you just present the exeriments to us first you'd come off much better.

Maybe even do them then later on you could tell us your original predictions.
    It will sound much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    A hypothesis, by definition, is always formed before the test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypothesis

"a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences"

http://www.accessexcellence.org/LC/T.../writhypo.html

Feedback Score
    Not for nothing but you ARE supposed to form a hypothesis before a expieriment, thats the purpose of it. To prove or disprove your hypothesis.
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    True but I was thinking of an experiment as something done without bias.
    There was no bias in the test. All of the variables were controlled. If you mean I should go into the test without a hypothesis, that is not how the scientific method works. One must have one.

I think you mean to say I should have kept my hypothesis a secret before the test. A test generally starts with the hypothesis as a written statement and I am ok to follow that established method.It is normal for peers to argue a hypothesis in order to refine it and determine what exactly to test for. Those who believed the Earth was round argued why they felt it was round before they actually devised a test to prove it.

Feedback Score
    I don't recall saying that. Hypothesis always proceed an experiment. In this case I'd say the sample size was too small to get an accurate account of real world events. I also objected to the personal opinion inputted prior to the "experiment."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    I don't recall saying that. Hypothesis always proceed an experiment. In this case I'd say the sample size was too small to get an accurate account of real world events. I also objected to the personal opinion inputted prior to the "experiment."
    A hypothesis *is* a personal opinion.

The sample size was small but it is all I am willing to do. Someone else can try to re-create my results since I posted my method. I repeated some of them that gave unexpected results and got the same results 2 or 3 times so I think it is reliable enough to decide on a $90 device. I would not consider it acceptable for testing something like an airplane.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast