Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 357 revolver for hiking/camping in back country?

Feedback Score
    I carry a 4" model 19 combat magnum with 158 grain LSWCHP. Big enough to take care of any critters in the lower southwest. I highly doubt if I have a bear about to eat me that recoil is going to be the first thing on my mind.

If I were to venture up north where the bears are a lot bigger, I would carry a .308 or at the very least one of those .454 and bigger hand cannons.
    Last edited by ericb; 09-10-12 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does anyone have any experance using the Hornady Leverlution ammo out of their revolvers?
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I also know that .45 ACP has also taken brown and black bear, so don't let anyone try and sell you on that caliber not being able to get the job done.
    There's a tremendous difference between hunting and defense shootings. These caliber arguments are becoming as tedious as the ".22 LR for personal defense" topics.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ruger GP100. An excellent choice would be the Wiley Clapp model.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    With the right ammo a .45acp is pushing the type of penetration you'd see from a standard old school .45Colt.

Elmer Keith wrote at length about bullets of this size/weight/velocity range shooting clean through things like elk.

Nothing to sneeze at if you pick your bullet well.
    If your gun will shoot it, this one is a dilly...

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=214

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    People say Caribou/Elk cannot be taken with a .223 but I know for a fact that they can be taken with one shot, and drop dead right there.

I also know that .45 ACP has also taken brown and black bear, so don't let anyone try and sell you on that caliber not being able to get the job done.
    The 45 is not up to the task. Sure you can get lucky. Bears have been killed with 22 long rifles and sharpened speers but its not a good idea. I personally have takena bear with a 5.56 with 75 grain Tap it was a head shot but I used it only because the shotguns loaded with slugs were not up to the shot placement needed at that time.

People have killed dangerious animals with bows but I would not want to shoot a charging bear with one.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    for a revolver forum there sure was a lot talk about glock and semi autos. A good 357 like a 686 with seven shots and a heavy hard case bullet would be a good choice as back up for the OP rifle loaded with the same round.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsford View Post
    for a revolver forum there sure was a lot talk about glock and semi autos. A good 357 like a 686 with seven shots and a heavy hard case bullet would be a good choice as back up for the OP rifle loaded with the same round.
    A .357 mag in a rifle or a handgun is a poor choice if bears are in the area.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Pat
    yah...
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 09-28-12 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Pat
    My uncle is an Alaskan homesteader 8 hours downriver from Eagle out in the middle of no where. He chose a 357 for his sidearm when he is out an about tending traps or the fish wheel or whatever else he does out in the middle of no where.

--
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast