Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: My take on Glock's

Feedback Score
    In the original post from SEVEN years ago, Mr. Vickers indicated that the 1911 was indeed tested in condition 1:

"I did a little'pretest' on a cocked and locked 1911 in a Safariland assault holster a few days before - it consisted of pouring sand down the top of the holster onto the gun with the holster hammer hood in place. I was surprised that even though the trigger action was very gritty, the hammer would still fall and the gun would function. It surprised us testing the 1911 in condition 1 because we had preconceived notions the gun would not fire at all - we were pleasantly shocked at how well the gun performed."
    It is amazing that folks up in arms about some informal test results that have been publicly available for SEVEN years!!!

Likewise, it is not exactly ground breaking news that Glocks in calibers other than 9 mm are less durable and reliable--every single agency and organization I have come in contact with over the past decade has consistently reported this same information.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just an added $0.02 or 20 Iraqi Dinars.

Some units will fire 1000rds a day during some things --- given a 20k lifespan for a pistol that can give a whole new meaning to "they break" - as opposed to some pistols that will go and go and go...

From the peanut gallery as an observations that several points of view can be correct based upon the frame of refrence.

-Kev
    *who still uses a 1911
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The same way any manufacturer does it ... there are certain things you see during the manufacturing or QC process that tell you a gun is more or less likely to develop various known issues. And/or you institute tighter manufacturing/QC processes for the guns in the first place.
    When, exactly, do you believe that this occurs in the process of building the pistols?

If you're going to suggest that they stand at the end of the assembly line and inspect the pistols and say "this one is good, it goes to the FBI, this one is bad, sell it to the State Police, this one is okay, send it to the public" then I'd suggest you're wrong.

Every issuance of a Glock pistol to a new agent class has been sequential. In other words, if SA Johnson and SA Johnson went through Quantico together, they'd have credential numbers that differed by one. They'd also have Glock 22s that would be one serial number apart. If that is true (and it is), then Glock would have to be selecting these guns earlier in the process then when the pistols receive serial numbers if your hypothesis is true.

And how would you explain that, at least in my agency, just under half of the Glocks in use are not issued but personally purchased (most buy at least one personal weapon, usually a Glock 27). Are these also "cherry picked"?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Federale View Post

And how would you explain that, at least in my agency, just under half of the Glocks in use are not issued but personally purchased (most buy at least one personal weapon, usually a Glock 27). Are these also "cherry picked"?
    To answer your question/statement about personal purchased Glocks.

There are 3 types of Glocks offered:

Blue Label Glocks, pistols which come with 3 mags and optional night sights at a very good price (these are suppose to be only available for personal purchase by LEOs/US Military members and certain other qualified individuals such as Firefighters etc.).

Red label Glocks, pistols which come with two standard cap mags, available to the public in states without mag capacity restrictions, standard retail pricing.

White label Glocks, pistols which come with two 10 round mags, available to the public in any state where one can own a handgun, standard retail pricing.

Blue label Glocks aren't available to the general public. Some Glock LE dealers do/have sold these to Joe Six-Pack (non-eligible persons) violating their contract agreement with Glock Inc. Glock has taken dealers off of the LE program for this reason.
    Prices on these blue label Glocks are even cheaper than dealer prices on red/white label Glocks. Glock sometimes does offer LE prices on Glocks to GSSF members but you don't get a blue label Glock nor 3 mags like the blue label Glocks, each of the 3 Glocks I won in GSSF matches in 2005 were red label guns.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockm4 View Post
    personally, i have known several people who own Glocks, and have talked to people at the range who have them along with other pistols,and they all say that the Glock could potentially be an OK secondary weapon but they do not prefer them as a primary, mainly because of failures and misfires. also i have heard several stories from several people about Glocks and accidental firings when the weapon was lying on the table with no ones hand on the trigger after repeated firing while the gun was still hot. granted that is horrible gun safety to put a round in the chamber with no safety on.

personally i would go with the S&W 1911, the Springfield Armory, or the good 'ol Colt for the .45 caliber handguns. for the 9mm, i think that if you want to pay the price, Sig Sauer makes about the best out there.
    hahahaha, thanks, that's the best laugh I've had this week!

guns going off all by themselves lying on the table.

not using the safety on their Glock.

hahahahahaha....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    To answer your question/statement about personal purchased Glocks.

There are 3 types of Glocks offered:

Blue Label Glocks, pistols which come with 3 mags and optional night sights at a very good price (these are suppose to be only available for personal purchase by LEOs/US Military members and certain other qualified individuals such as Firefighters etc.).

Red label Glocks, pistols which come with two standard cap mags, available to the public in states without mag capacity restrictions, standard retail pricing........

Blue label Glocks aren't available to the general public. Some Glock LE dealers do/have sold these to Joe Six-Pack (non-eligible persons) violating their contract agreement with Glock Inc. Glock has taken dealers off of the LE program for this reason.......
    I've seen Glocks at gun-store counters with factory night sights. Does this mean they are "blue label" and being sold in contract violation?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    I've seen Glocks at gun store counters with factory night sights. Does this mean they are "blue label" and being sold in contract violation?
    No not at all. I should have explained that better, factory night sights are an option on all three types blue/red/white for an additional up charge. Personally I don't like the factory night sights since the front is staked on instead of held on with a screw and Loc-tite like Trijicons and most other night sights. I've fixed WAY too many loose staked night sight front sights on Glocks.

The actual label that has the model, serial number and trigger weight on the Glock clamshell box is colored baby blue, red or white.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 02-25-08 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the clarification. Good stuff to know.

I've always just kept the factory plastic "day" sights. Figured I'd replace if ever damaged, which hasn't ever happened......yet.....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Good stuff to know.

I've always just kept the factory plastic "day" sights. Figured I'd replace if ever damaged, which hasn't ever happened......yet.....
    Just try to rack the slide using the rear sight against your boot a few times. When the rear sight falls off, I recommend a set of Warren Tactical night sights!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Just try to rack the slide using the rear sight against your boot a few times......
    That's my problem: I've always used the weak hand on the slide serrations. Silly me.....

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast