Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrosion Testing (New Pics - 5-08-12)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshot View Post

Putting a gun in a safe, even if it's a safe queen, to mind is not really long-term storage. It's just an extra gun sitting in a safe rather than in a holster or BOB kit or carry rig.
    It is generally considered long-term if you don't plan to at least clean, inspect and/or use it on the regular while letting it set in them for long periods of time; i.e. months/ a year or more at a time. In that case, "some" of the corrosion inhibiting products wedge tested would be best to use.

To me, long-term storage is kept somewhere else, out of sight, and not accessable to routine inspection and maintenance.
    As stated, if the firearm is not subjected to routine maintenance, it should be considered long-term storage, no matter where its stored.

This is what you do with excess guns / ammo you don't need. You can only bug out with so many weapons and rounds.
    All my guns need me, they are nothing without me... they are emotionally attached.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    Eezox, Boeshield T-9 and Corrosion X consistently come out as the top three corrosion inhibitors in every test I've run. Personally I prefer Eezox. It hasn't let me down yet.
    I agree with this totally, and if you would have asked my opinion going into this test, these are exactly the 3 I would have listed if your objective is "best all-around corrosion protection products." The testing so far seems to support this, with a few other newcomers (like S&W, Weaponshield) apparently doing pretty well too.

Here's what I have sort of concluded from my own usage and also seeing a variety of threads like this one:
    * Long-term storage: Boeshield T-9. For really long-term storage say a year or more, Boeshield T-9 is a great option because it literally leaves this coating on the metal that is more long-lasting than a typical oil. It's what I'd use for any firearm in long-term storage. Just as a effective as stuff like cosmoline or Rig grease (probably more so), and FAR more convenient/less messy to work with.

* Intermediate storage: CorrosionX. For guns used fairly regularly or at least every few months, and that are stored in reasonably dry conditions, but you still have some risk of corrosion due to damp/humid operating conditions, I'd use Eezox or CorrosionX. IMHO, I agree with Wedge that Eezox is somewhat better than CorrosionX at ultimate corrosion protection. But at the same time, I find CorrosionX is better at OTHER things you want in a firearm solution (like lubricating slides). So for me, even though Eezox is probably the best intermediate storage anti-corrosion option, I use CorrosionX because while being very good at corrosion protection, it also provides more useful all-around performance for my firearms, tools, and other metal items. So it's a great lube, you can spray it on electrical contacts, etc., and it's also less toxic (and less smelly) than Eezox. Both are absolutely good for corrosion protection, but I just found CorrosionX had a little more all-around utility in my situation.
    Last edited by maximus83; 05-02-12 at 16:22. Reason: type Slip instead of S&W

Feedback Score
    Great post. Wish I could have joined at the begining. As this test was geared to long-term storage, I have a few questions...

Any idea how VCpI technology would have fared compared to the better rust inhibitors? Products such as ZCorr, Bullfrog and Inhibitor?

Putting a gun in a safe, even if it's a safe queen, to mind is not really long-term storage. It's just an extra gun sitting in a safe rather than in a holster or BOB kit or carry rig.

To me, long-term storage is kept somewhere else, out of sight, and not accessable to routine inspection and maintenance.

Stored in a PVC pipe and burried on the family farm comes to mind as a form of long-term storage. In this scenario, what would you want? Something like RIG or Eezox, or something like ZCorr's VCpI storage bag. In either case, add dessicant, possibly an O2 eater, and place in an air and water tight container.
    I think the VCI products would have done quite well. I did have one VCI product, Inhibitor V80, on the board and it did okay.

I was gearing this test more towards the guns sitting in the back of the safe that don't get taken out much. Like Gramp's old .22 that I shoot once or twice a year. Clean it when I get home and give it a good coat of Eezox.

If I was going hardcore long term storage like tubed and buried. Well I'd give the entire gun a coat of RIG grease, put it in a Zcorr bag and vacuum seal it.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgehead30 View Post
    I think the VCI products would have done quite well. I did have one VCI product, Inhibitor V80, on the board and it did okay.

I was gearing this test more towards the guns sitting in the back of the safe that don't get taken out much. Like Gramp's old .22 that I shoot once or twice a year. Clean it when I get home and give it a good coat of Eezox.

If I was going hardcore long term storage like tubed and buried. Well I'd give the entire gun a coat of RIG grease, put it in a Zcorr bag and vacuum seal it.
    My bad, I just realized you were talking Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitor (VpCI) not Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI). Regardless I think the VpCI would do fine. I'll probably do another test in a few months after I pick up some of the newer products on the market. Funny thing is I've done this several times and Eezox always comes out on top. As a matter of fact I looked at the board today and the Eezox sample looks as good as it did on day one. Every other product on my board is showing some degree of corrosion.
    "The history of gun fighting fails to record a single fatality resulting from a quick noise...speed's fine, but accuracy is final." William H. Jordan 1965

Feedback Score
    I did not know there was a difference between VCI and VpCI. I've used the old Bianchi Blue Bags for several years beyond their stated shelf life on some expensive cutlery without any sign of corrosion, bit they were not burried at the farm, they were just in my basement.

I've heard good things about ZCorr (but I had heard good things about Slip 2000 EWL as a preservative, and you demonstrated just how well that worked).

My understanding of how VCI / VpCI works would seem to preclude coating anything with heavy grease or RIG / Cosmoline. The vapors have to reach the metal to treat it. When I put my cutlery in the Blue Bags, all I did to prepare the knives was to rub the blade with a silicone rag first.

The test you performed was well thought out and well presented. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
    I just picked up a 6 oz drip bottle of tri-flow at a local bike shop after reading this thread. I recall from years ago, that it was highly recommended as an excellent bike and general purpose lube, and I have used it on Rc helicopters in the past. Cant believe I never thought to use it on guns.

I can see the protection benefits, and obviously it will lubricate, but will it clean too? I see on the bottle that's it contains solvents, so I am hopeful it can be used as a clp. Anyone use it to clean, as well as puberty and protect?
    Just thought I would reply to my own inquiry....I think I have found my new favorite cleaner, lube, and protectant....Tri-Flow. I have been using EWL for the past couple years, but after cleaning my duty rifle with Tri-Fow today, I will be switching. It cleans better, the carbon just melts down nicely, it is a great viscosity for cleaning, and after the solvents dry up a bit, a nice thin layer of lube is left behind. Nice. It feels slicker on the bcg and charging handle than EWL too. Only downfall is toxicity, EWL is non toxic, and Tri-Flow isn't. Oh well, its not like I am eating it, right? Thanks to the OP for this thread, which caused me discover a new personal favorite clp!

Feedback Score
    Jimbo, I totally agree. I've tried a lot of different lubes on my guns and Tri Flow remains my standby. Guns cycle smoother and run for high round counts.

The one lube that seems to be most like Tri Flow is Slip 2000, the EWL version is definitely thicker than Tri Flow although both of them seem to be as lubricious (is that a word?) as Tri Flow.

For cleaning Tri Flow works OK but for heavy carbon I still use Hoppe's 9 and am on the hunt for something better.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
    Just thought I would reply to my own inquiry....I think I have found my new favorite cleaner, lube, and protectant....Tri-Flow. ...
    =======================================

You might want to do some checking but I think there are some concerns using Teflon products on certain parts of your AR.

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 05-04-12 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

You might want to do some checking but I think there are some concerns using Teflon products on certain parts of your AR.

Yeah, I've read all about it. I think most of the hype was concerning using teflon in the bore. With the very small amount left behind several dry patches, I don't worry about it in a chrome lined barrel, not designed for precision. Others claim phosgene gas, or something similar is produced by burning teflon. Again, with the amounts that could possibly be released in the open air, on the first round or two fired, it isn't a valid concern to me. Maybe if you fired copious amounts of teflon coated bullets in an enclosed range, maybe a bad idea. I'd be more worried about lead/mercury exposure from the firing process inherent in firing any gun, than this possibility of inhaling a trace amount of phosgene (or whatever gas some claim is made from burnt teflon) gas during the first few rounds. Besides, Remoil has teflon too, and is designed for use in guns. Plus we cook and eat food off of very hot teflon cookware all the time. Not saying all the toxic chemicals we are exposed to everyday are healthy, just a fact of life in this day and age.
    Last edited by Jimbo45; 05-04-12 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Without some documentation I'm chalking such info up to folks "supposing" without any actual knowledge. Tri Flow is marketed as a gun lube (among other things).

It seems rather unlikely that a major corporation (Sherwin Williams) would market a dangerous-to-humans or equipment oil. I've used Tri Flow on all kinds of machinery for almost 30 years and have never seen or heard of an adverse reaction or damage to equipment.

I have been spritzed in the eyes and mouth before (accidentally) and after rinsing am still fine.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast