Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What .223 for hogs.

Feedback Score
    I've shot pigs with 55 gr JSP's and Federal Bonded rounds both 55 and 62 grains. I definitely prefer the Federal Bonded. In one instance, the bullet just missed the front shoulder, nuked the heart and lungs and then broke the far side shoulder. When I recovered the bullet, it had expanded perfectly and had 100% weight retention.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    Our writer Brian McCombie had great results with DRT Ammo on a hunt sponsored by S&W. This is what he had to say about it

"I was using a 79-grain Terminal Shock .223 round made by Dynamic Research Technologies (DRT) of Grant City, Missouri. The DRT round is lead-free and frangible, made with a highly-compressed core of metal powder inserted into a copper jacket. The bullet punched through a good inch of hard gristle covering the pig’s ribs, the ribs themselves, and then essentially exploded (as it was designed to do), delivering all the round’s terminal energy into the boar’s chest cavity." http://shwat.com/ArticleIndex/tabid/...Hog-Rifle.aspx

We anticipate doing a full test for accuracy as well as live media for this round in the near future. When it's complete, we will of course write it up.
    Stephen - SHWAT™ - Special Hog Weapons And Tactics™
    www.shwat.com

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Doc, Any updates on the 87gr DRT or the BH 100gr?

I know you said that the BH 100gr, in particular, was very impressive from a terminal standpoint...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    -- Federal 55 or 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bonded JSP
    -- Winchester 64 gr solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B)
    -- Remington 62 gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded JSP (PRC223R4)
    -- Swift 75 gr Scirocco bonded PT
    -- Speer 55 or 64 gr Gold Dot JSP (and identically constructed Federal 62 gr Fusion JSP and Federal XM223SP1 62gr Bonded JSP)
    -- Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP
    -- Barnes all copper TSX bullets, probably the 70 gr version is best for your needs

I'd also add the new Hornady 55gr 5.56mm GMX to this list. The 70gr TSX as loaded by SSA would be my top pick, particularly if a longer shot is possible (higher ballistic coefficient).

Feedback Score
    I used a 55 grain Barnes TSX on a deer this year and it penetrated very well from the front of the chest back through the stomach. Unfortunately I did not recover the slug.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    Barnes 55gr TSX
    Winchester is also loading new ammo meant for hogs. Called razorback or something like that. Never used any of it.

Feedback Score
    The Winchester Razorback XT should be good. We gave away a box in .308 on Facebook, and have sent some to 1MOA Solutions for initial testing. We are planning a full test with both .223 and .308 side by side, as well as hand loads using the Razorback projectiles with Bill Davison of Tac Pro Shooting Center. Don't know when the .223 or bullets will show up, so we are in the hurry up and wait mode now. When we have results, I will post them. Bill is very thorough and calls it like it is, so it should be educational for all.
    www.shwat.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen O View Post
    The Winchester Razorback XT should be good. We gave away a box in .308 on Facebook, and have sent some to 1MOA Solutions for initial testing. We are planning a full test with both .223 and .308 side by side, as well as hand loads using the Razorback projectiles with Bill Davison of Tac Pro Shooting Center. Don't know when the .223 or bullets will show up, so we are in the hurry up and wait mode now. When we have results, I will post them. Bill is very thorough and calls it like it is, so it should be educational for all.
    I can't wait to see your results. I can't stand marketing tactics and unqualified opinions (without warning). How many names can you drop in a thread before you have to start paying advertising fees?

Feedback Score
    PlatoCATM
    We are also looking forward to the results. I see what you mean with the names. When someone claims to have objective data, I like to know where it's coming from.
    www.shwat.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast