Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best SHTF AR15/M4 Platform for Durability/Reliability and what spare parts?

Feedback Score
    If money is no worry:

KAC SR-15 E3 IWS, USGI magazines (NHMTG Mag body, Magpul L Plate, and YELLOW Follower, with SAW Red magazine spring), Federal 62 gr. TBBC 5.56mm, or Mk. 262 5.56mm ammo.

For optic. Nightforce NXS 1-4, in KAC 30mm QD mount.

Sling: Gear Sector 2 point, with Mount-N-Slot

Light: SureFire Scout + KAC Light mount (or gear sector mount)+ Surefire Tape Switch

Tango Down Pistol Grip

KAC Hand Stop

Best general purpose rifle out of the box. With minimal modification. Any more modification makes it more of a niche rifle than what you're looking for.

Approx service life: 30k rounds. For the barrel. Bolt life is unknown, but I've heard of like 3 E3 bolts with 80k + rounds on them.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
    (as far as I know, there aren't any manufacturers offering a hammer-forged 20" barrel; if someone makes such a barrel, I'd like to know about it).
    Noveske? BCM, and DD?... Don't they?...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talking WoW!

Very well put moose! Not much you can add to that. I wish I had that post when I bought my first M4.

Like others have said it is obvious which brands occupy the top tier. So no need to go there. Also, search search and search some more. I am positive all the information you seek lies somewhere. If not on this site the definitely in the infinite cloud that is google. I have answered several of my own questions by searching. You've already gotten great advice! Go use it! And be safe while you do!
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Colt 6720 or BCM 16"
    Aimpoint PRO Optic
    DanielDefense 1.5 Rear Sight
    KAC M4RAS or TROY MRF-DI or DanielDefense Omega 7.0
    Gear Sector or 03DesignGroup or VTAC Offset Mount
    Surefire G2LED or 6PLED or VTAC E2D-LED V4 Weaponlight
    BlueForceGear VCAS Sling

This will give you a simple, light, reliable, accurate weapon system. Use your existing rifles as spare parts for now, but there isn't much reason to look beyond this. IF you already know you want a longer handguard, a BCM Middy or one of the DanielDefence V5 rifles is the way to go, but keep the same other accessories.

Nobody on this board would disagree that the above would make a decent fighting rifle, not that it can't be improved on or tailored better to individual preference or mission, but but less than the price you have currently sunk into your RRA, Olympic, and Armalite you can have this complete package with a bunch of magazines, and a case of decent ammunition.
    I can go into details on why I feel each of the above is the best choice for most applications, but search around the forum and you'll see why on each item.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Mr. Washington,

I'm not sure what to make of your post. However, let me add this. Sell all of that trash that you have and invest the money in a good Colt, DD, LMT or BCM carbine.

Then spend some of the money and get some mags, ammo and seek out training. I don't mean bubba down the street or someone teaching in their backyard, but rather someone who will push you and the weapon.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    As an academic, sure you are able to read and do research. This forum, and www.lightfighter.net are both among the best primary sources on the AR system you will find.

Read through some threads. Your question has been asked and answered many times.

In sum, though, the ARs you currently own are crap.

I would suggest getting a Colt 6920 or 6720 and buying some quality training. Again, check out this forums' training class section and try out one of those.

All you really need is a spare bolt (maybe) ammunition and some kind of lube, and you should be ready for anything. No need to overthink this.

Don't buy a bunch of gear either until you've put several thousand rounds of ammunition through your rifle and have taken some classes.

Feedback Score
    Washington,

You have quite a collection of AR platform carbines but most of your carbines are marginal in quality. What I would do is sell the Olympic, bushmaster, RR, and Sig right away. I think you should be able to net $2500-$3000 from these. Using this money, I would purchase a Colt 6920 with a BUIS of your choice and Aimpoint Pro. This should cost around $1500 total using a good online vendor like grtactical. Then I would go to a good class to learn more about the platform and to learn about what future modifications/additional purchases make sense and suit your needs.

I would keep the colt match target because it would be a very good base rifle if you decide to learn more about longer range shooting (300M-600M+). I would also keep the Armalite as a backup carbine but I would not put to much money into it except for maybe a BCG and buffer upgrade.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The best spare is a second rifle. Buy two of each of these:
    Colt 6920 (or 6720, my preference)
    Aimpoint PRO
    Midwest Industries FSB mount
    Surefire X300
    Blue Force Gear Victory 2-point sling
    Troy folding rear sight
    24 NHMTG magazines
    2k rounds XM193

Attend training with quality, nationally known, instructors. I would begin with Randy Cain. upon return continue to practice what you learned. Change parts as needed to identify shortcomings in the platform provided you are not attempting to circumvent learning with equipment.

Feedback Score
    Hey there -

Thank you ALL for your replies. I am very pleasantly surprised with the sheer volume of responses I received. I very much appreciate it.

Please forgive me for not responding to your posts individually. However, I would like to address a few things:

1. I will keep the existing AR's rather than sell them (if anything for parts). I don't really need the money right now and I have a large enough safe for everything.

2. I am on the G&R Tactical website right now and have configured two different rifles, please look below and tell me which one is better and/or any changes to the modifications I chose.

Colt SP 6940 $1280.00 $1280.00
    Additional Shipping ($7.00)
    Grip Upgrades is Magpul MOE (BLK) $18.00 $18.00
    Stock Upgrades is Magpul CTR (BLK) $60.00 $60.00
    Optics is Aimpoint PRO $360.00 $360.00
    Receiver Plate Upgrades is Magpul ASAP $40.00
    Flash Suppressors/MB is Factory
    Subtotal: $1758.00

BCM 16" Mid-Length Rifle $983.00 $983.00
    Additional Shipping ($13.00)
    Bullet Button (CA LEGAL) is None
    Handguards is DD 9.0 Omega $284.00 $284.00
    Grip is Magpul MOE (Black) $19.00 $19.00
    Stock is Magpul MOE (BLK) $50.00 $50.00
    Flash Suppressor/MB is A2
    Rear Sight is Magpul MBUS BLK $55.00 $55.00
    Subtotal: $1391.00

So anyway, those are the two rifles I configured based on the majority of responses here. Are these the right one(s)? Or should I look into something else?

3. Is G&R the best company to deal with? I heard a lot of good things here on the forums. I am used to dealing with buds mostly - and I am not impressed with them at all.

4. As far as magazines go, I heard one suggestion on here...does anyone have any other magazine suggestions? Are the lancer L5 translucent mags (updated ones with the black followers) bad? I've used many of them and haven't had any feeding issues whatsoever. I will buy whatever is best, so please let me know.

Thanks a lot gentlemen!
    Last edited by Washington; 08-30-11 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do not fall into the majority rules trap.

The 6940 is a waste of money. What is that 7" rail doing for you? What is the monolithic upper doing for you? Did you know that it has a proprietary barrel nut, barrel extension (and therefore, practically, barrel), and other parts?

This is just another example of why you need to start (over) with basic, ubiquitous carbines and establish wants and needs (and the ability to tell the difference).

ETA:
    However, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If you do have enough time with the AR to know that you prefer the Magpul MOE furniture then by all means use it. Personally were I starting over with a 6720 I'd change all the plastic out for MOE based on my own prior use, and I'd install a Gapper at the triggerguard, again thanks to my own experiences shooting without one.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-30-11 at 10:56.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast