Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Comparison Chart of Commercial M4 Pattern Carbines

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

NEW Comparison Chart of Commercial M4 Pattern Carbines

To be clear, this is a work in progress first and foremost. As more manufacturers are added the Chart will be updated.

Process by which manufacturers populate this Chart is BY THEIR OWN HAND via an online questionnaire that they complete. Trust, but verify, is in effect and as always, caveat emptor. Any manufacturers wishing to be added may contact me directly via email.

Models included should fit the following description, outlined in the questionnaire:
    Choose a model that is as close as possible to the military issued M4. flattop upper, standard front sight base, carbine-length gas system, no rail systems, etc.

As this is being pushed to publication prior to the original target, the legacy will have to suffice for the time being.

And so, this brings us to the draft copy of the new and improved

ETA:
    LINKING TO THIS DOCUMENT
    Please feel free to share this document wherever you feel appropriate. Three caveats
    1. If at all possible, link to this thread, and not to the documents themselves.
    2. If #1 is not possible, please ensure that you provide the link to the Explanation of Features, AND The Chart itself.
    3. In either case, please do me the courtesy of sending me a link to the location where you post it. This is not about asking my "permission" to repost as this is not necessary, but I believe that it is best if I am able to keep tabs on things to some degree or another so that I can attempt to make the document(s) better whenever possible.

ETA 2:
    So already a few people are wondering "where is my pet brand?" Here is your answer. If you want your favorite brand on the Chart, tell them so!

Just to be clear, I had contacts at Armalite and S&W for some time but both petered out later on in the process, hence the current "no response" status.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-10-11 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some description of intended formatting changes may be in order.

1. First, there needs to be a detailed E of F to go with the new Chart and categories. Eventually the goal is to have each column heading clickable to take you directly to that section of the E of F so that you can learn about each item individually.
    2. Second, the Chart will be formatted such that the far left two columns and the top three rows will be locked and the field will scroll.
    3. Third, hopefully, will be the addition of more participants. The good news is that once a new manufacturer completes the questionnaire it takes me all of 5 minutes in front of a computer to update the document.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-09-11 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    First off, thanks Rob! Great work.

Quick question:

Under the Spikes Tactical portion for MPI bolt and MPT barrel, there is just a 1 listed. Does that mean they test one out of every group, or is that supposed to read 100% as well?

Thanks and Excellent job Rob!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Very nicely done Rob. I'm liking the new format.

As already mentioned I am also curious to know the deal with the "1" in the MPI bolt and MPI barrel categories for Spikes Tactical. I'm also curious if you have any more information on the round that DD uses to HPT their bolts.

Thanks again for all your hard work with this.
    Last edited by SteveL; 06-09-11 at 16:56. Reason: Clarification
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for posting Rob. I look forward to the updates.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great work Rob!
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like the new format. Thank you for all your effort.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bear with me a bit guys.

The Spike's "1" issue was a column formatting thing and should be corrected now if you refresh.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, for sharing. Very nice.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    I like the new chart.

I'm suprised that Spike's rates higher than I would have thought. Now if we can just get Stag to make all their rifles to the chart standard and stop playing this Plus Package marketing bullshit game we would be all set.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast