Thread: Swiss Arms SG 553 R (7.62x39)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    OK. So I got the second 553R and I SBRed it. I got the tax stamp in record time, 11 days to be exact. Insane but I love it.

Here it is with all of the 922R parts installed (US magazine (3), Hogue pistol grip, BCM AR stock, OSS flash hider, shooting sight hammer, shooting sight sear). Per the BATF letters I have seen, you need 7 to be compliant on a 553 with a threaded muzzle. I put a BCM stock on it for now, but I'm going to try a green Magpul DT stock, just because I think all Swiss Sigs need some green on them. Also attached is a B&T handguard and a Swiss downward sloping charging handle (C&H Precision I believe).

IMG_0166.jpg

It runs 100% with Magpul MOE and M3 magazines shooting brass cased ammo (123 gr FMJ and Hornady SST 123 grain). I use the 1.4 mm gas setting with the OSS can. Good ejection no FTFs. The gun does not like Tula, but it will take Golden Tiger. I have yet to open up one of my Barnaul cans for good reason.

The BUIS are nothing to root about but get the job done. Harder to get behind compared to an AR.

I installed my Steiner P4x with a Reptilia mount. I really like this mount despite the lack of QD capability. Very slick, steam lined but yet robust.

Bad news: Even on adverse setting 1.5 mm, it will not cycle Hornady 255 gr subsonics. Also, this rifle runs dirtier than my suppressed Galil ACEs. Must be the design. The 553R also feels 1-2 lbs heavier than my Galil ACE SBR. I will eventually weigh both to compare.

Now, back to the first 553R I picked up. I fixed the magazine release issue by filing the magazine release latch on the inside of the receiver (not the receiver itself but the steel latch). It releases smoothly now. I'm keeping this 553R as a spare anyway for parts. It's my policy on all of these sorts of rare birds.

All in all, I will lug the 553R with my beloved Galil ACE SBR whenever I get a chance to shoot them. I think the Galil ACE is still more robust and lighter (eats everything I feed it), but the Sig 553R is nice because of the flat top rail and because I can easily use a scope with it. Time will tell which I prefer (work gets in the way darn it).
    Attached Images Attached Images