Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
And that's exactly the purpose of that kind of setup in my mind. A short AR that you can store in a discreet bag and access quickly. I think the concerns about it breaking or being a weak point expressed in this thread are overblown. Sure, if you're taking an AR into the mountains of Afghanistan to do combat or something like that then it might be a worry, but in that type of situation you wouldn't want or need a folding stock AR anyway. For discreet folded carry in a bag, where you can pull it out and be ready to go within seconds, the folding stock design from what I've seen is robust enough that worrying about it breaking or being a weak point is gonna be a least concern.
The buffer is already a weak point from the consideration of things like drop tests. But now you have what is essentially an open buffer system where all kinds of shit can be introduced. To me that is magnifying the weak link. For anyone that worries about if their castle nut is staked well, a folding open buffer system is just nuts to consider.