So I was talking about this in another thread and Ron3 got me thinking this might be fun to talk about. How many of you guys got started in our little hobby by their dad, stepdad, grandad? I was talking about how much I wish my dad had been into guns when I was a kid. My dad was a big hunter. And we most definitely shared that love. We started every September in the dove fields here in N. Central Texas. Then bow season started on Whitetails in October, rifle season in November….when it got cool enough we brought out the dogs and got after the quail. Then a little bit of a lull until spring turkeys…..and fishing in late spring and summer. Then it started all over again. And that isn’t counting the occasional elk/mule deer/antelope hunting we also did. It was heaven. But although I didn’t know it at the time my dad was a big time Fud. Guns were tools to be used for hunting and self defense. And a S&W 686 was all you needed for self defense. But I couldn’t read enough about firearms and wanted so badly to try out the modern guns of the day…..the H&K 91/93….Colt AR….even a simple 1911 or Hi-Power and my dad would shake his head and say, “We aren’t terrorists son.” And he wouldn’t purchase anything for me with my own money either. So, when I turned 18 I started on my own but without much cash it was tough to acquire the things I wanted. I was lamenting a bit about all the great gun opportunities I missed. But really I’m not complaining. My dad and I had some of the best times of my life on those hunts. I wouldn’t trade that for all the cheap sub-guns and ARs in the world. Well, maybe for a BAR or Colt Monitor.

But I got started in the hobby on my own accord. What about you guys?

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk