Thread: What do you put on barrel extensions?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Curios about something here. MolyKote has an expiration date on the tube. Mine is currently 2/25. Does it only expire unused inside the tube lol? Or if its installed on your barrel nut a month before expiring and the gun sits inside the safe and it expires after wiped on a barrel nut? No I haven't been drinking and I am serious.

Does aeroshell have a similar expiration date?
    I believe all greases/pastes have an expiration date even if it's not listed on the container. The one I use also has an expiration date (the TS-70 Moly Paste). I had to email T.S. Moly about it since there is no expiration date on the label. About 2 years stored in inside the house conditions.

I had a container of NECO Moly-slide paste thicken up and go bad on me after about 10 or so years.

I think as long as the grease is in good condition on installation of the parts that's all you can hope for. Going to disassemble things years later I've heard that the moly can be kind of gummy. Actually, the A1 "clone" I took apart at the end of last year came apart easy enough, but the grease did seem much thicker than it was when I installed that barrel nut back in 2016 (if I remember right).

At this point I probably need to go through all of my old containers of Moly grease and check them out to see if I need to get rid of any of them.

Having said that, I think as long as it still mixes up good and has a consistency that still resembles how it was when new then it's still probably good to go. Though I could be wrong as I'm no grease expert.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-07-24 at 10:44.