[QUOTE=Doc Glockster;2019608]I'm all for minimalism, but I hear "twenty-two" for a self-defense handgun and I am automatically reminded that it's not about making kill shots, but about "stopping the action". Unless I've missed something over the years, twenty-two won't knock a perp flat on his ass no matter what loading we're talking about.

Neither will a .44 magnum. IMHO there is way too much attention paid to caliber of a personal defense handgun. As Ken Hackathorn has often told me, "no reasonable handgun round is a death ray." Think of the real estate rule, only modify it to fit shooting. Placement, placement, placement. Think of the elephant hunters rule. Penetration, penetration, penetration.
Elephant hunters use a relatively tiny cartridge to kill 8000 pound animals.

Do you know of people who hate you enough to keep on coming when shot? Cops and military might, but that is rare with civilians. Then if drugs are involved, only a CNS hit counts with any handgun caliber. This is the primary limitation of the .22, as it may not have much effect if it does adequately penetrate. The Mossad felt it was adequate when used in their Beretta Jaguars for airline security and assassination though.

People are not poorly armed if they have a .22. They are poorly armed with a larger caliber if they can't hit with it or don't carry it most of the time.