Usually I don't mind a good poke at my expense, but since you're so cocksure of yourself Jack'sAss, I had a pre-1 model matte nickle stainless/aluminum 442 (before the 642 existed) that I carried for years and it was NOT DAO, I know this because I tore it down and smoothed up the frame. The hammer had a single action notch on it. Many S&W without access to the hammer were, in fact, not DAO because they still had single action notches. The fact that you can't get TO THE HAMMER doesn't mean they are DAO. When the SA notch is gone then they are DAO and usually would have a completely different sear. Otherwise, you can easily pull through the DA stroke and feel it hit the notch and wait until you feel like pulling further to complete the break.

BUT my initial reply was concerning staging/stacking any S&W DA trigger to fire as if in SA mode by trigger control BECAUSE THE OP WAS WANTING THAT ABILITY IN A DA! Nice that my intent is so wonderfully received Jack.

I believe Keith first coined the term "staging the trigger." I guess it is just a lost art on those of you who aren't into revolvers. It works just like a SA stage, but isn't cocked per se and it functions nearly as well for fine ranged shots. It is easier to feel on DAs with coil mainspring rather than leaf, but all it takes familiarity and practice with the S&W to feel where and when the DA mode is going to break.

As for the rest, I choose not to put my faith in District Attorneys...I live in California where law and logic seem to be mutually exclusive. If someone chose to carry a hammered gun in their pocket that is on them. Nor would I know if someone's pocket bug has any kind of hammer block or transfer bar mechanism. I don't assume safety. If I had to I'd at least bob it or put it in a holster that covered the trigger or not carry anything else in there - especially my keys. I you feel like laughing at caution, go for it. I don't need proof to know something is a bad idea.