Thread: Czech it out! New custom vz-58 from InRange

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here's a pic that Rusted Ace sent the AK guys when we were on TOS. He captured this vz in Iraq and wanted to know what the hell it was.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always thought those were ugly as sin (as in a bad toy replication of an AK) but the way he rebuilt and refinished that one is very nice indeed.

The bayonet looks GREAT on it!

You say it weighs a lot less- is it actually smaller? The mag looks crazy huge in this picture:

Is the rear sight like an AK where all the way back is to zero it? If so, I think I know the reason the guy who used to own this rifle left it on the battlefield for RA to pick up- looks like he forgot to slide the distance marker to a usable spot (unless they just don't shoot like they are supposed to???)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Joe, yup, lighter.

The mags are extremely heavy gauge aluminum. Don't think M16 magazine aluminum, the mag walls are at least 3 times thicker than M16 mags are. The magazines are longer from the front to the back of the magazine because the vz-58 locks the bolt open on an empty mag. The extra length in the back is for the portion of the follower that engages the bolt hold open.

The receiver is also milled forged steel, not a stamping, but the rifle as a whole is lighter than an AKM.

The rear sight is very similar to an AK sight. All the way back is the "battle sight" setting, which is about 300m. I immediately moved mine down to 100m and that's where it's staying.

Feedback Score
    Is the furniture laquered OSB?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    Is the furniture laquered OSB?

Wood pulp/chip impregnated resin, basically bakelite. The handguards apparently get very warm very quickly.

The Czechs make/made a more modern synthetic handguard, one of the above pics has them, as well as a railed handguard.

Bulldog1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Wood pulp/chip impregnated resin, basically bakelite. The handguards apparently get very warm very quickly.
    Yeah, but being an FAL owner, you have the "tacti-cool ovenmit" right?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I think foster farms made an oven mitt very popular with FAL owners during the kit boom.

Wolverine Supplies seems to sell a lot of VZ accessories and they have the Czech polymer handguards with the rails towards the front end. I got one of the actual Czech brakes from Wolverine too.

www.wolverinesupplies.com
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh, so fully rear is a battlesight position and not just for getting the battlesight zero eh? Cool...

I had a friend offer me an AK pistol grip like that- looked like a doggie chew toy. Now I know why. Chip impregnated resin. That's exactly what it looked like to me when he showed it to me. i had never seen one up close. It was so old a lot of the resin was worn enough that strands of fiber (like burlap?) were poking out.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast