Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another trying to decide thread: SP901 vs Predatar

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Another trying to decide thread: SP901 vs Predatar

I am sure you guys are sick of seeing these threads but I am torn in a decision between these two guns. Here is what I am looking at

I want a 308 AR platform
    A. I had an LMT 308 but sold it, miss it
    B. I am setup to reload 308
    C. Hog Gun
    D. I have a 762 suppressor already

Here are the pros and cons of each platform I am seeing

SP 901
    Pros
    1. Cheaper
    2. Colt is a well known operation and large mfg
    3. Takes PMAGS
    4. Monolithic Upper
    5. Comes with BUIS from Factory

Cons
    1. Not out yet so no insight into quality, accruacy, reliability etc
    2. Weight

Predatar
    Pros
    1. Well known MFG but small operation
    2. Light weight for a 308
    3. Takes PMAGS
    4. Tube type rail
    5. Accurate

Cons
    1. LW Profile barrel
    2. Function with a suppressor is questionable
    3. Comes barebone from the factory, no BUIS etc

Here's the kicker though, I can get the Colt for almost $700 cheaper than the Predatar (sorry can't name the source). $700 is a big chunk of change and can be used for optics, ammo, training etc. However, the weight issue is a source of interest for me. I had an LMT 308, great gun but was one heavy SOB. The colt looks to weigh in around the same weight. The Larue is about 1.5lb lighter than the 901 from what it looks like. If I am going to be using this for 3 gun, hog hunting etc, the weight would be a nice advantage to have, tho the increase in felt recoil could come into play.

I know in the end it comes down to my personal preference, but so far I have no preference. What would you do in my shoes?

ETA: I know some of you will say PredatOBR but for a $1000 more?
    Last edited by liquidsniper; 03-08-12 at 10:08. Reason: ETA: Predatobr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd take a known entity over speculation any day. LaRue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd take a known entity over speculation any day...... which would mean Colt with its incredibly long track record.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'd take a known entity over speculation any day...... which would mean Colt with its incredibly long track record.
    Yeah, the All American 2000 and the Double Eagle have demonstrated that even Colt can miss the mark. While their 5.56 guns are the mil spec standard, others have far surpassed them now. I own two Colts, but there are better options now as Colt has sat on their hands and let the industry pass them by. LaRue's 7.62 guns have a known superb track record. Will the Colt? I'll wait and see.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-08-12 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    Why not another MWS?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Why not another MWS?
    I considered the MWS with the LM8 version coming out. From what I am seeing MSRP wise though I am sure I can get it for about the same price as the larue maybe a little more . I originally bought my MWS on the first run when they were $2500 and now they are MSRP'd at close to 3k. I am not so sure they knocked enough weight off of it since the bulk of the chassis lies in the upper receiver in front of the magwell where the barrel bolts are. However, I am still a fan on the tube rail for grip purposes. The fact remains though that I will still be paying alot more than the Colt.

The tongue in cheek comments were funny about the standing track of both mfg's. Yes, colt has produced some lemon handguns, however correct me if I am wrong those were on the Colt Commercial side of development. The sp901, based off the cm901 was developed on the Colt Defense (military) side and then ported to the commercial side for a SA version, no?

I think overall both Mfg's have great track records. Both have good customer service from what I have read. Both have a rabid following I do own a colt 6933 and love it. However, the larue has always interested me since what they offer is a pretty uniqe firearm. However, the Colt offering is also very unique.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One other thing I noticed, the Larue doesn't offer ambi controls. The LMT has an ambi safety and mag release. The Colt has ambi, safety, mag release, and bolt release.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsniper View Post
    The tongue in cheek comments were funny about the standing track of both mfg's. Yes, colt has produced some lemon handguns, however correct me if I am wrong those were on the Colt Commercial side of development. The sp901, based off the cm901 was developed on the Colt Defense (military) side and then ported to the commercial side for a SA version, no?

I think overall both Mfg's have great track records. Both have good customer service from what I have read. Both have a rabid following I do own a colt 6933 and love it. However, the larue has always interested me since what they offer is a pretty uniqe firearm. However, the Colt offering is also very unique.
    I agree with you, both companies have a long standing track record. I’m just saying that the Colt hasn’t even hit the street yet. Folks don’t even really know what the MSRP will be (although you seem to). This whole rifle is shrouded in speculation at this point, yet it is being compared to the well characterized and established LaRue rifles which are acknowledged by many to be performing superbly. Any conversation about the 901 at this point should be a very short one. Yes, I’ve held the thing in my hands a couple of times, so I know the concept exists, the ergonomics are good, can come with a cool digicam pattern, and it’s heavy. I know nothing about how it performs.

Feedback Score
    I had a 901 for T&E and was impressed with the gun. We put about 5k rounds through it with only a couple of malfunctions. These were directly related to the stock PMags we used. The gun worked flawlessly with the Colt supplied magazine.

When I spoke with my contact at Colt, he told me they had Magpul make several small changes to the PMag to run correctly in their gun. I don't know if this has changed in the production guns. The one I had was a prototype.

Another benefit to the 901 is the ability to mount a .223 upper on it. We tested several in this configuration and they also worked without a hitch.

The only complaint I had with the 901 was the hand guard is just too short for my shooting style. Other than that, I would buy one without hesitation. The ambi features worked very well and felt natural. Most of the test shooters commented on these features.

I was also impressed with the Larue rifles, both the OBR and the Predator.

I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. It just boils down to "which one do I really want?" if budget is a concern go with the Colt. If its not, pick the one that satisfies your craving.

Just my thoughts...
    Last edited by REM; 03-08-12 at 20:48. Reason: Added comments on ambi controls
    Experience Teaches - Dito

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    A couple of things because you mentioned weight:

• I would not trust the weights listed on the 901 until someone reliable gets one in-hand and weighs it properly. Colt is notoriously all over the place when they publish/release numbers like this. If the past is any indicator unfortunately they are always on the low side. It could very well roll in heavier.

• The LaRue at 7.5 pounds doesn't include irons, ambi-safety or sling mounts (front or rear). Add another 4 - 6 ounces for these. Remember that these items are not included in the price, either. So you'll actually be closer to $3k versus the $2k Colt here.

• Don't forget the LaRue uses a LW Lothar Walther stainless barrel and the Colt is using a heavier, hammer forged, chrome lined steel barrel. Something to consider either way.

Modification-wise, grab a 901, swap the BUIS / stock for KAC/Magpul and turn the barrel down to a medium profile. Or send it to someone like Marvin and have him dimple it if that's your thing. I bet you'll be within ounces of the PredatAR for $500 less even after all the work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast