Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to SBR Your Lower by Scottryan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

Just left the gunshop that does all the forums and engraving for SBRs in my area. I told them that I had a stripped lower and wanted to get it engraved before I completely assemble lower. They told me that "you do not have to engrave the lower". He also said "just make sure you have your paperwork and your good to go". How true is this????? I also found some info on the web that says the samething, but there is tons of misleading info out there.

Thanks

Brad
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    If you are building your rifle from a non-registered lower using a form 1 then you need to have your name, city and state engraved. Having a copy of the paperwork would be a good thing though.
    Peace, Jerry

I don't drink the koolaid

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradb55 View Post
    Just left the gunshop that does all the forums and engraving for SBRs in my area. I told them that I had a stripped lower and wanted to get it engraved before I completely assemble lower. They told me that "you do not have to engrave the lower". He also said "just make sure you have your paperwork and your good to go". How true is this????? I also found some info on the web that says the samething, but there is tons of misleading info out there.

Thanks

Brad

Chapters 6 and 7 will help you out. Your dealer should stick to engraving.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

Feedback Score
    1 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Here is a guide to properly SBR your lower. I put this together due to the rash of “mishaps” that seem to plague people who are SBRing their lower.

Find a good engraver. Orion Arms is good. Your local trophy shop/jewelry store is probably not so don’t waste your time, neither is your Dremel tool.

Anybody that follow these steps will not have any problems.
    What information do I have the engraver put on the lower? My name? Location, State, City, County? I have no idea

Feedback Score
    Can I legally obtain a "less than 16” barrel/upper" before sending in any paperwork to ATF as long as I don't assemble it to the lower prior to ATF approval?
    Ian

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offroad_nomad View Post
    Can I legally obtain a "less than 16” barrel/upper" before sending in any paperwork to ATF as long as I don't assemble it to the lower prior to ATF approval?
    You can buy a SBR upper & have it shipped to your residence legally, however, if it's anywhere around a non-registered lower, you are in possession of a SBR & "can" be banged by the feds for intent to manufacture a SBR. That's a felony. Your dealer cannot release a suppressor to you before your Form 4 comes back, right? It's the same concept with a short upper. So, no, you cannot legally obtain one before your stamp is returned approved. Do what you want & folks will tell you to have it shipped to or stored with someone else who doesn't own any AR's if you want to order one before your stamp comes back. Negatron. You're still in constructive possession.

Will your hatch be forced by the feds looking for SBR's with you not already having a stamp? Prolly not, but you've asked the question on a public board that's monitored by feds. I wouldn't risk it since now you know. Complete the proper procedure first without breaking the law so you don't have that on your conscience. Don't fall into the instant gratification syndrome of wanting a SBR upper before hand, like so many do on these boards & then try to justify the felony by having it stored at another location.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    You can buy a SBR upper & have it shipped to your residence legally, however, if it's anywhere around a non-registered lower, you are in possession of a SBR & "can" be banged by the feds for intent to manufacture a SBR. That's a felony. Your dealer cannot release a suppressor to you before your Form 4 comes back, right? It's the same concept with a short upper. So, no, you cannot legally obtain one before your stamp is returned approved. Do what you want & folks will tell you to have it shipped to or stored with someone else who doesn't own any AR's if you want to order one before your stamp comes back. Negatron. You're still in constructive possession.

Will your hatch be forced by the feds looking for SBR's with you not already having a stamp? Prolly not, but you've asked the question on a public board that's monitored by feds. I wouldn't risk it since now you know. Complete the proper procedure first without breaking the law so you don't have that on your conscience. Don't fall into the instant gratification syndrome of wanting a SBR upper before hand, like so many do on these boards & then try to justify the felony by having it stored at another location.
    Ian

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And I look at that this way- I can prove to them the constructive intent to build one legally when they're in possession of my forms and check and I'm just waiting patiently.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Where to get or Print Form 1?

I would like to know where to order Form 1 or print Form 1 for SBR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post

I know that there has been at least "one" person arrested for so-called "constructive intent", but here's a good question. Say that I already have a registered SBR, and then decide I want another one and purchase a receiver. Since I have a short barrel on another AR type rifle, though it is registered as such, am I not in "constructive intent" with the second receiver since the other short barrel is in my possession, even though it's attached to the registered rifle? Good question for a lawyer and the ATF may or may not agree with them.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast