Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Im not sure about the rest of you but I for one do not try and make it a habit of licking my BCG clean after every use soooo yea
    yea but some smell good enough to. Frog lube smells minty. I seen someone else say G96 smells like cinnamon. Lick Lick
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 03-26-12 at 01:25.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Mobil 1 full synth. 5w-30. I've used it for a couple years with very good results. I absolutely love it on my pump shottys.
    Brandon
    "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."
    -Psalm 144:1
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord, and a gun; you might need 'em both, if you show up here not welcome, son."
    -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    Like I said, I've never used engine oils, & am very happy with my current lube, but out of curiosity, do you ever see your synthetic engine oil on your bolt group go dry too quick? For example, high volume, rapid fire, or after a few days? Does it stay on & pretty slick between cleanings or do you have to lube between cleanings? I can see why people would like it, as it has higher viscosity & friction inhibitors than most regular, low viscosity "gun oils". It makes sense that you wouldn't have much of a problem with it running dry too quick, as it is high performance oil for engines, but I don't have first hand experience with Engine oils. I usually run my rig for over 1000 rounds or so now, before cleaning.. but everything is still very slick. Cleaning is so much less work also. Mobil 1 seems to be the favorite of most on here & everyone I've spoken with that uses engine oils.
    Last edited by Ghostmaker; 03-29-12 at 21:25.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
    Like I said, I've never used engine oils, and am very happy with my current lube but out of curiosity, do you ever see your synthetic engine oil on your bolt group go dry too quick? For example, high volume, rapid fire, or after a few days? or does it stay on and pretty slick for a while. Do you have to lube between cleanings? I can see why people would like it, as it has higher viscosity & friction inhibitors than most regular, low viscosity "gun oils". I would think you wouldn't have much problem with it running dry too quick, as it is high performance oil for engines, but I don't have first hand experience with Engine oils. I usually run my rig foIr over 1000 rounds or so now, before cleaning.. but everything is still very slick. Cleaning is so much less work also. Mobil 1 seems to be the favorite of most on here and everyone I've spoken with about engine oils.
    I just lube when I clean. Thats every 1k to 1.5k rounds. After a thousand rounds, its still really slick.
    Brandon
    "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."
    -Psalm 144:1
    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord, and a gun; you might need 'em both, if you show up here not welcome, son."
    -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had mixed engine and atf together. To me it would make sense having a decent blend of the two.
    I've been using a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 Synthetic and ATF on my 870 for years. Works great. I took a Rob Haught shotgun class a few years ago, and sure enough the CLP I was using at the time dried out fairly quickly. Before lunch on Day 1, I could really feel the increased friction. One of the guys (Tim Lau, I think?) had a squirt bottle of that 50/50 mix on hand, and after a few light squirts on the bolt rails and action bars, the gun ran like butter for the next day and a half. I probably put 350-400rds of cheap birdshot, plus another 50 rounds of buck and slugs through the gun in that time frame, and it stayed smooth. I've been a convert ever since.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
    Like I said, I've never used engine oils, & am very happy with my current lube, but out of curiosity, do you ever see your synthetic engine oil on your bolt group go dry too quick? For example, high volume, rapid fire, or after a few days? Does it stay on & pretty slick between cleanings or do you have to lube between cleanings? I can see why people would like it, as it has higher viscosity & friction inhibitors than most regular, low viscosity "gun oils". It makes sense that you wouldn't have much of a problem with it running dry too quick, as it is high performance oil for engines, but I don't have first hand experience with Engine oils. I usually run my rig for over 1000 rounds or so now, before cleaning.. but everything is still very slick. Cleaning is so much less work also. Mobil 1 seems to be the favorite of most on here & everyone I've spoken with that uses engine oils.
    i put 660 rounds through my MK18 clone the other day in 1.5hrs and the only place that did not have lube was the bolt tail, heres some pics of my BCG broken down

it probably would have gone another 200-400 rounds and this was with 2 drop in the cam pin slot and 2 drops in the gas vents so it would get on the gas rings, and 1 drop on each rail
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 03-29-12 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    I was wondering has anyone tried power steering fluid?
    Seems slick but sticks too.
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory"
    Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The only practical difference lubrication wise between power steering fluid and Dextron ATF is the label and perhaps the color.
    Well, price too I suppose.

You don't want to use steering fluid in an auto box, but ATF in the power steering system is just fine and pretty well common practice these days for topping up or refilling the system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith_shoot View Post
    I just lube when I clean. Thats every 1k to 1.5k rounds. After a thousand rounds, its still really slick.
    Brandon
    Hmm, makes me feel better if i was in a bad situation & had to pull some off my dip stick huh... I could just see that, Tactical Dipstick Drill.... yesss.

Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    i put 660 rounds through my MK18 clone the other day in 1.5hrs and the only place that did not have lube was the bolt tail, heres some pics of my BCG broken down

it probably would have gone another 200-400 rounds and this was with 2 drop in the cam pin slot and 2 drops in the gas vents so it would get on the gas rings, and 1 drop on each rail
    yep, still slick but the bolt tail. Your right, probably could have.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I could see the tactical dipstick drill catching on amongst the doomsday prepper crowd lol. Just think of the implications during a teotwawki AND it's emp safe!

couldn't help myself..

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast