Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTifosi View Post
    Using engine oil in a firearm is fine, but comparing the engine oil used in a firearm to the engine oil used in an engine in the sense of how long, how many miles, cycles, etc isn't a valid comparison.

Not unless your firearms have a mechanical pump to pressurize the oil flow to the high wear or friction areas and a filtration system anyway.

The only close simularity between engine and firearm would be stuff like the timing chain or piston rings. No pressure feed and if not outright bathed or immersed, then at least seriously splash serviced.

The only engines comperable to a firearm would be those along the lines of small stuff like a Briggs or Tecumseh 4 stroke.
    Snow blower, kart, etc. vertical mount as they have no pressurizing pump and everything runs on splash disbursal with little to no immersion bath.

It would literally be a better comparison to use car door hinges and latch mechanism than the powerplant under the hood.
    I use Mobil 1 Synthetic and even after 500rnds in 30 minutes my bolt carrier and bolt face are still slick with lube.

I have actually found Synthetic motor oils to last longer than these fancy gun lubes in most cases, mix it with a little ATF and you also have good rust protection.

The other thing to note is most gun ouls are hazardous to your health, Synthetic motor oils generally are not, and at most will cause slight stomache upset if ingested

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitech50 View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack but this is just dumb logic. First, things change, a thread started 5yrs ago might not have the most current best information available (frog lube wasn't around that long ago). Secondly this is a forum site. Forums were made for discussions. If the owners of this site wanted just a reference site they could have used a blog, wiki or any number of other platforms. I think it's fair to say they don't want the site to grow stale. Maybe a better logic would be if you don't have anything intelligent to add to the discussion don't post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am with you 100% on this. I am really new to this forum, but I have a lot of time in others and this comes up a lot.

This is my stance, if its a topic that has been covered time and time again, well just don't open it and move on.

Simple.

But on topic, I never even really though about using motor oil on firearms and it seems to be a pretty good idea that's accepted by most. I am with AKDoug though, most likely dyno oil would work just as good as any.

Cleaned my 1 month old AR for the first time this morning after putting 100 round through it Friday. Used Mobil-1 as a lube.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not motor oil but a look at some of the ones we all know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sN6anOSVRQ

Feedback Score
    I guess you don't recognize sarcasm when you see it lol. Most times i come here just to see who got hammered next for posting something

Quote Originally Posted by Hitech50 View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack but this is
    just dumb logic. First, things change, a thread started 5yrs ago might not have the most current best information available (frog lube wasn't around that long ago). Secondly this is a forum site. Forums were made for discussions. If the owners of this site wanted just a reference site they could have used a blog, wiki or any number of other platforms. I think it's fair to say they don't want the site to grow stale. Maybe a better logic would be if you don't have anything intelligent to add to the discussion don't post...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwils74 View Post
    I guess you don't recognize sarcasm when you see it lol. Most times i come here just to see who got hammered next for posting something
    It's hard to "see" sarcasm when it's written !

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." ~Bill Cosby

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmitty View Post
    Okay...I just had to do it...necropost+zombie theme FTW...
    ETA: My apologies for sucking up bandwidth and stoking the fire...
    Only one angle nobody has touched on yet...

I prefer KY although I've heard a lot of talk about astroglide.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Only one angle nobody has touched on yet...

I prefer KY although I've heard a lot of talk about astroglide.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    I use Mobil 1 Synthetic and even after 500rnds in 30 minutes my bolt carrier and bolt face are still slick with lube.

I have actually found Synthetic motor oils to last longer than these fancy gun lubes in most cases, mix it with a little ATF and you also have good rust protection.

The other thing to note is most gun ouls are hazardous to your health, Synthetic motor oils generally are not, and at most will cause slight stomache upset if ingested
    Good point... If I was to use engine oil... it would be synthetic. On the other hand, you could just take precautions with the hazardous stuff, although why not go synthetic and save the worry.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep if i had to use any of the above engine oils in a pinch long as it keeps my Lead chunkin' blaster runnin'.
    Frog lube is plant based and non toxic also.
    Over 2600 rounds bolt and carrier pretty much wiped clean, & still slicker than snot on a door nob after wiping it off.
    Instructor-Basic, Intermediate & Advanced Combative Techniques for Carbine & Pistol

"Responsibility for your Protection & Superiority in Combat starts here... at Lakeview Combative Training."-Ghostmaker

"FROG LUBE doubles as my TOOTH PASTE."-Ghostmaker

"Be Professional at making Ghosts." -Ghostmaker

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Im not sure about the rest of you but I for one do not try and make it a habit of licking my BCG clean after every use soooo yea

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post

I have actually found Synthetic motor oils to last longer than these fancy gun lubes in most cases, mix it with a little ATF and you also have good rust
    I was wondering if anyone had mixed engine and atf together. To me it would make sense having a decent blend of the two.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast