Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score

ha...

...that's funny...
    I use the Stihl bar oil...it comes in summer-warm grade and winter-cold...doesn't take much either...
    After that I use some Tetra or whatever is close for touch-ups...

Feedback Score
    Here is the IZ we are limited in regards to gun oil, except for what we can order from home. The PX only stocks WD40, but also has STP oil treatment for some odd reason. Anyone have experience with using this STP?
    I don't use WD40, I hear that is is not too good for gun storage.

I did read that in a pinch you can find a motor vehicle and get oil off the dip stick to keep your weapon lubed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    I don't use motor oil I use Echo bar and chain oil. I have never found anything better. I stays on an AR bolt and doesn't burn off even on full auto fire.
    Hi Mike.

sorry to belabor this point guys, but I gotta ask - you say you "have never found anything better."

what does that mean? does it mean that your gun will function properly at that shooting session, no matter what you use, so you might as well use the cheapest stuff you can find?

how much do you shoot and how much motor oil or other lube do you buy per year?

or do you mean that it performs BETTER than the gun-specific lubricants? if so, that would be very interesting indeed.

it may be true - that an expensive lube is not needed to keep a gun running but how about long term? have you noticed any decreased life of components or firearm? how many guns have you had to rebuild or replace?

and btw, I'm certainly no expert on any of this stuff, just recently becoming interested in the AR platform after years of long gun and pistol shooting, but to me, CLP is not what I consider a "gun specific lubricant". I believe it's a convenience or "field-expedient" product capable of doing what you need in a pinch, but not optimal. I still use different products for cleaning and lubing, although I believe a proper lube IS a protectant and rust inhibitor.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not criticizing. but as a newb to AR's I'm trying to sort through the common but factually incorrect practices, and the ones that have actual merit - fer instance - I have heard of some people who actually think shaving cream is a superior gun cleaner...

Feedback Score
    If you are willing to spend the money you would be hard pressed to find a better lube for an AR/M16 than LaRue Machine gunners lube , I also belive Slip 2000 (still have a small bottle somewhere)is superb. that said I can not tell any differance with them and Mobil . so if you want piece of mind and have the $$$$ just get the LaRue machine gunners lube or the Slip 2000 and you will have a brand name gun lube that is proven . as for me (cheap SOB that I a'm ) I'm useing Mobil 1 and spending my money on more ammo .
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
    If you are willing to spend the money you would be hard pressed to find a better lube for an AR/M16 than LaRue Machine gunners lube , I also belive Slip 2000 (still have a small bottle somewhere)is superb. that said I can not tell any differance with them and Mobil . so if you want piece of mind and have the $$$$ just get the LaRue machine gunners lube or the Slip 2000 and you will have a brand name gun lube that is proven . as for me (cheap SOB that I a'm ) I'm useing Mobil 1 and spending my money on more ammo .
    well said...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    How is motor oil for corrosion protection?
    I used to have a 870P 12ga, Sig 226, and AKM clone that would all rust like crazy; I switched from CLP to motor oil and it helped quite a bit. It doesn't dry out, but you can cook it off if you shoot a lot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Has anyone ever used cutters oil like what machinest use on big drills and lathes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been using mobil 1 fully synthetic for a while, but I'm aso experimenting with royal purple. So far, I've been extremey happy and have never had a "lube related" failure.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Mobil 1 works well and is relatively inexpensive. Ive currently been using Rotella T6 synthetic and it does great also.

Fwiw Im a fan of militec too

Last edited by jpmuscle; 03-25-12 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone used Lubriplate FMO 350-AW oil and how did it work out?
    "Live for something rather than die for nothing." - Gen. George Patton

"If you come expecting a fair fight, you are unprepared." - Magpul

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast