Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score

My Mix

What do you guys think of Mobil 1 thickened with Slick 50 grease?
    Tim
    Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 for Mobil 1...its easier to find and cheap enough to use alot of it...without breaking the bank.

Feedback Score
    I use Mobil 1 hear redline is pretty good also

Feedback Score

Tetra

Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    has anyone used/liked Tetra lube? I have a big bottle that I bought to use on my pistols but I'm not very sure I like it for that use. it seems to make the slide sluggish. I could be imagining that, though....
    I've been running Tetra on my Bushy from day one. Its worked fine so far. I have about 2.5k through it with no cleaning. All I do is lube it before range and carbine matches. I will say that I had stopped lubing it in Sept and will say its getting very sluggish. But to be honest I didn't shoot for about a month and half so I've only put a little over 500 rounds since I stopped lubing it. It has been very sluggish so I think its time to clean it.

I think after cleaning I will buy some Weaponshield after I use up my free sample. I've been using it on my 1911 with no cleaning and almost no reoiling since the summer. I have about 1.5k though since the summer and have been very happy.

Topher

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use Golden Spectro 10W40 50% synthetic on everything, every weather condition. Seems fine for the last 13 years.

Feedback Score
    +1 for WallyWorld SuperTech synthetic 5w/30.

I have filled up an old LSA bottle about 3/4 full and sprayed in some Prestone Silicone lube and this seems about identical to LSA in appearance and feels like CLP.

Use the same stuff in lieu of 3 in one and gun oil, cheaper, and better in the low temps.

Thanks for the tip about diesel. I run 15w/40 synthetic, will give it a try.

Also make my own bore cleaner. Mostly #1 heating oil, some hoppes #9 for smell, some carburetor cleaner. Works great. Maybe someday I will find some banana oil which is what I heard gives Hoppes its distinctive odor. Nothing says GUNS like Hoppes.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Hogan View Post
    +1 for WallyWorld SuperTech synthetic 5w/30.

I have filled up an old LSA bottle about 3/4 full and sprayed in some Prestone Silicone lube and this seems about identical to LSA in appearance and feels like CLP.

Use the same stuff in lieu of 3 in one and gun oil, cheaper, and better in the low temps.

Thanks for the tip about diesel. I run 15w/40 synthetic, will give it a try.

Also make my own bore cleaner. Mostly #1 heating oil, some hoppes #9 for smell, some carburetor cleaner. Works great. Maybe someday I will find some banana oil which is what I heard gives Hoppes its distinctive odor. Nothing says GUNS like Hoppes.

My X gf used to LOVE the smell of CLP on me when I came home from shooting/cleaning.

Me? I love the smell of fired shotgun hulls. Paper is best, but any smell great!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've gotta confess. I just don't get it. why anyone would use a product not designed for the purpose.

obviously motor oil works great in engines because that's what it was designed for. a motor is a relatively stable and clean environment with the engine being cooled and the oil filtered to remove suspended particles before it's returned to operation. and as someone mentioned before, it is contiained in a sump with a reasonably large quantity available to do the job at hand.

motor oil is designed specifically for ONE purpose. it's obvious that there are plenty of formulations based on different engines ( auto gas, diesel, motorcycle, wet and dry clutches, manual and auto transmissions, etc.) each is formulated for different load, shear forces, viscosity, detergent needs, etc., and there are real consequences in using the wrong type of oil in an engine.

and yet these applications are MUCH more alike than using thany of these products outside of an engine, ie. on the operating systems of a rifle which has no similarity to the operating environment of an engine other than metal is being rubbed against metal. compared to simply the operating differences between engines, the difference in using it in an AR is like comparing apples to hand grenades. and yet people are still choosing to use these oils instead of a product specifically formulated for the specific job.

now, many people have used this line before, but in my case it also happens to be true - I am not a smart man. but the people who dedicate entire careers into research and development of the various gun specific lubricants are. I'm guessing that what I "know" about lubricants would only fill the tiniest part of a thimble lost underneath a workbench in the corner of the huge warehouse of knowledge they have on the subject.

so why, I ask myself, would someone still be satisfied to ignore all the precious time and research conducted and reject the products in favor of others which can't work as well for the given situation. is it because of the money???

I guess I simply don't understand why someone would pour thousands of $$$ into a firearm and then cheap out by using a product not designed to the task simply to save a few pennies. the cost of an entire weeks application of even the most expensive gun-specific lubricant is still probably less expensive than the cost of the ammunition in even one magazine.

so, I'm not picking on anyone or trying to harsh anyone's mellow here, I honestly confused. what am I missing?

Feedback Score
    I started using mobil 1 after Ned recommended using synthetic motor oils in his 1911 armorers class last year. I chose Mobil 1 since that is what I had in the garage. I think any synthetic engine oil would work well. I use the 0-40.

It doesn't seem to gum up like some of the other CLP's I've used in the past

Feedback Score
    I don't use motor oil I use Echo bar and chain oil. I have never found anything better. I stays on an AR bolt and doesn't burn off even on full auto fire.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast