Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score
    I have been trying a product called Friction Defense from Brownells.
    This oil looks for all the world like Mobil 1 oil with some molybdenum disulfide and teflon added to decrease friction and add a measure of corrosion resistance.

It appears to be working quite well as a lubricant and isn't smoky like some of the synthetic motor oils but cost per ounce is quite a bit more expensive.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

What ??

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Better than that Militec 1 junk but worse than CLP. That is about the best I can put it, mediocre. If you keep the weapon lubed, you will be okay, but there are better for sure.

Why do you say Militec 1 is Junk ??

Please enlighten me. with a statement like that you must have a horror story.
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoid View Post
    Why do you say Militec 1 is Junk ??

Please enlighten me. with a statement like that you must have a horror story.
    No, no horror stories from ME, I just don't like putting anything containing chlorine near my weapon and it wont do much, if anything against rust (may encourage it with that chlorine....). When I did my test the Militec 1 nail was 90% as bad as the control nail and FAR worse than any other nail.

PS. Militec 1 is also a known carcinogenic. Chlorinated Paraffins and all that have been linked to cancer in humans.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...te_id/1#import

^This website will teach you more about oil and lubricants than any other I know of. Based on advice from this site I found the best oil for my LS1 powered F-body as well. I went from using 1qt every 3K miles with Mobil 1 5-30 EP (About 7.50 a qt.) to using MAYBE .5 qts every (4500 miles currently) using 0-30 German Castrol ($5.50 qt) and the small amount of metal dust (normal) on the magnet on my drain plug is cut in 1/2, although I have not sent the oil in to Blackstone for analysis or anthing official.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Militec-1 is a metal conditioner to be used as a lubricant, I've used it since about 1989. If you want a protectant use something like CLP or any 'gun oil'. When the USMC (at Quantico Firepower Div) was looking at Militec (late 80's) they mixed some Militec and CLP and had good results.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Militec-1 is a metal conditioner to be used as a lubricant, I've used it since about 1989. If you want a protectant use something like CLP or any 'gun oil'. When the USMC (at Quantico Firepower Div) was looking at Militec (late 80's) they mixed some Militec and CLP and had good results.
    Based on the evidence given, I will just be content with FP10. I am avoiding certain problems and giving up little to nothing in any other aspect imho.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Based on the evidence given, I will just be content with FP10. I am avoiding certain problems and giving up little to nothing in any other aspect imho.
    FP-10 is excellent.
    My favorites are Weapon Shield, Slip2000, Machingunners Lube, Militec-1, FP10 in that order.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 12-25-07 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I use Militec 1 and CLP

What's the deal with using Motor Oil ?

Thanks for all the great info and Merry Christmas
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoid View Post
    I use Militec 1 and CLP

What's the deal with using Motor Oil ?

Thanks for all the great info and Merry Christmas
    It works great as a lube.
    I guess I'm old school. I use gun oils in guns and motor oil in engines.
    All my ARs are worth over $2K a piece, so I'm going to use the best synthetic gun oils I can. I don't salt water dive (haven't since 1983 and then not with a rifle). I'm a civilian and don't hump a rifle in the desert or jungle or whatever. I do sometimes shoot/hunt in the rain. If I don't use them for a week or so I wipe down the steel parts of my rifles with BreakFree CLP Weapon wipes. This is where I prefer a coating of Norrells Moly (on the exterior surfaces of the barrel, gas block/FSB etc.) The Norrells seals up the parkerizing preventing rust. (that's what I used on your 18" barrel and gas block Tim).

It really doesn't matter what you lube your rifle with as long as it's 'wet' (wet = dripping wet). Wet works. Some lubes will burn off more quickly than others, either way when shooting/training/competing I relube every 200 to 300 rounds.

Merry Christmas Tim and Merry Christmas to all!

Robb

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Thanks for all the great information Robb.

I will be calling you later this week I'm going to start on my next AR build.

Merry Christmas
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    has anyone used/liked Tetra lube? I have a big bottle that I bought to use on my pistols but I'm not very sure I like it for that use. it seems to make the slide sluggish. I could be imagining that, though...

also, I asked on another thread about Eezox. anybody use that? I have a friend who will use nothing else and told me he got it from "a machinegunner" buddy of his.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast