Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score
    Used Dello 400,now use Mobil 1 .both run good and clean .
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What weight oil is everyone using?

I've been running Castrol GTX synthetic 20w in 50 handguns for the past couple months...all are running the same or better than they did on CLP or RemOil.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I would wager that diesel oils are the best as they contain the most detergents. Something like Rotella T synthetic would be optimum.
    FWIW I have used the Rotella T synthetic as gun oil before and it works just fine. The only problem with it is the smell for ccw guns. Currentley using 95% Mobile 1 5W 30 with 5% STP and it is a great lube for AR's and pistols.

Feedback Score
    Don't laugh... but I use Walmart pure synthetic. It's low cost and seems to be holding up pretty well on the guns I've been shooting. The one thing I noticed about synthetic versus CLP is I lube up a gun, put it in the vault and a month later its still wet. CLP dries out between cleanings fairly quick.
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is the IZ we are limited in regards to gun oil, except for what we can order from home. The PX only stocks WD40, but also has STP oil treatment for some odd reason. Anyone have experience with using this STP?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Here is the IZ we are limited in regards to gun oil, except for what we can order from home. The PX only stocks WD40, but also has STP oil treatment for some odd reason. Anyone have experience with using this STP?
    I havent used the STP as a gun lube, but am familiar with the product. Is it the red or blue bottle? Both pour like thick honey and are designed as viscosity modifiers. The red has a very high detergent and additive package, the blue is just a viscosity modifier. I wouldn't use either in a weapon straight.

I'm sure you can find a quart of motor oil somewhere, if you put your mind to it.

I have used motor oil on crew served weapons primarily the M240, M2, and MK19 and have had good results with it. It worked no better or worse than LSA, and it was always available in some way shape or form. Grade and weight didn't matter, add more as needed. Most of it was 15w-40 which is what they use in most diesel trucks.

I don't think any gun comes close to reproducing the hellish chain of events that happen in a car engine, so even the cheapest motor oil should do the trick.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How is motor oil for corrosion protection?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    This is just my opinion, and I'm about as far from being a tech geek there is. That said i dont think there is any magic corrosion protector, and does it really matter unless your putting some collectible weapon into long term storage? If my rifle is submerged in salt water its getting shaken out and lubed as soon as possible at the very least. If the humidity causes it to get a little surface rust wipe it down. The big thing is to keep the operating system lubed with something...Empirically i can't say if motor oil x is better than gun lube y.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGhostRider View Post
    Don't laugh... but I use Walmart pure synthetic. It's low cost and seems to be holding up pretty well on the guns I've been shooting. The one thing I noticed about synthetic versus CLP is I lube up a gun, put it in the vault and a month later its still wet. CLP dries out between cleanings fairly quick.
    The WALMART stuff is just someones elses oil with their label. I'm sure that it will works just fine.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Better than that Militec 1 junk but worse than CLP. That is about the best I can put it, mediocre. If you keep the weapon lubed, you will be okay, but there are better for sure.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast