Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who use motor oil for lube...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atg336 View Post
    On another note, I believe in necroposting because it's good for the forum ecology: no new redundant threads to clutter up the forum... you know, recycling, shows that the posters know the use of a search button, and it's Mod friendly in many ways.
    Agreed. People bitch about not using the search function and then when somebody does utilize the search function it's all of sudden a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PetesTactical View Post
    Moble 1 Good
    +1
    BE AN ORGAN DONOR.
    You can give the gift of life to as many as 50 people!
    It takes less than 3 minutes to register.
    Go to: http://donatelife.net/register-now/

Feedback Score

Rotella-T

Ive read the recommendations for rotella-t. You may want to rethink this. Rotella-T is a popular oil for motorcycle use, because it contains less friction inhibitors preventing the wet clutches from slipping. I went from mobile-1 in my bike to rotella and could tell a very noticeable difference in clutch performance. With firearms you want an oil with a high friction inhibitor content.

Feedback Score
    Never even thought of using motor oil till now...

Feedback Score

There is simply

no question that can be asked that hasn't already been asked/answered before! Therefore, no new post should be made. Just use the damn search button! Having said that-- Frog lube all the way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Headcase650 View Post
    Ive read the recommendations for rotella-t. You may want to rethink this. Rotella-T is a popular oil for motorcycle use, because it contains less friction inhibitors preventing the wet clutches from slipping. I went from mobile-1 in my bike to rotella and could tell a very noticeable difference in clutch performance. With firearms you want an oil with a high friction inhibitor content.
    ATF would be a much better choice than engine oil. It also has far better corrosion inhibitors in it.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have an entire fleet of equipment running Rotella T; from 4 cylinder Kubota diesels all the way to Cummins ISX in semis. Never had an issue with the oil and I have two rigs over 500,000 miles. My pickup has 5000 hours on it running Rotella T (Duramax). Average RPM is probably close to 1200 rpm.....that's 360,000,000 million revolutions on that engine. My big rigs have more, but I don't have the hours on them.

The tollerances within an AR-15 are much bigger than the tolerances within a modern high horsepower diesel. I simply cannot see an issue with running Rotella T in an AR-15. For that matter, if you insist on running motor oil for gun lube I would doubt seriously there is much difference between any of the synthetic lubes. Furthermore, I doubt very much regular old dino oil would be much different either.

There is no definitive study on motor oil in guns. Chose what you like and go for it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Headcase650 View Post
    Its all I ran in my zx12, although rumors on the diesel forums suggest the current formula has changed and decreased in capability but I haven't seen concrete validation of this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    ATF would be a much better choice than engine oil. It also has far better corrosion inhibitors in it.
    corrosion and friction are two separate attributes tho, or are they the result of the same thing? Im not a chemist so Idk thats why Im asking
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 03-25-12 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwils74 View Post
    no question that can be asked that hasn't already been asked/answered before! Therefore, no new post should be made. Just use the damn search button! Having said that-- Frog lube all the way.
    Sorry for the thread hijack but this is just dumb logic. First, things change, a thread started 5yrs ago might not have the most current best information available (frog lube wasn't around that long ago). Secondly this is a forum site. Forums were made for discussions. If the owners of this site wanted just a reference site they could have used a blog, wiki or any number of other platforms. I think it's fair to say they don't want the site to grow stale. Maybe a better logic would be if you don't have anything intelligent to add to the discussion don't post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." ~Bill Cosby

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Using engine oil in a firearm is fine, but comparing the engine oil used in a firearm to the engine oil used in an engine in the sense of how long, how many miles, cycles, etc isn't a valid comparison.

Not unless your firearms have a mechanical pump to pressurize the oil flow to the high wear or friction areas and a filtration system anyway.

The only close simularity between engine and firearm would be stuff like the timing chain or piston rings. No pressure feed and if not outright bathed or immersed, then at least seriously splash serviced.

The only engines comperable to a firearm would be those along the lines of small stuff like a Briggs or Tecumseh 4 stroke.
    Snow blower, kart, etc. vertical mount as they have no pressurizing pump and everything runs on splash disbursal with little to no immersion bath.

It would literally be a better comparison to use car door hinges and latch mechanism than the powerplant under the hood.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 03-25-12 at 15:13. Reason: spells

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast