Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent manufacture M&P 9 accuracy

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Wow. I am now dreading shooting some new M&Ps I just got.
    You have to remember one thing, VERY FEW PEOPLE can shoot under 6" at 25yds for 10rds. So for most, the gun is perfectly acceptable (as they cannot out shoot the gun).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-27-12 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was puzzled why the inaccurate M&P didn't shoot well when I replaced its "bad" barrel with the "good" barrel from a good shooting M&P.

Just now, I took the "bad" barrel from the inaccurate M&P FS and put it in the good shooting M&P. Amazingly, the "bad" barrel shot as well as its own "good" barrel. I had assumed that the problem was solely barrel related, but this suggests it is more complicated.
    Last edited by GJM; 01-27-12 at 16:31. Reason: mistype

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was puzzled why the inaccurate M&P didn't shoot well when I replaced its "bad" barrel with the "good" barrel from a good shooting M&P.

Just now, I took the "bad" barrel from the inaccurate M&P FS and put it in the good shooting M&P. Amazingly, the "bad" barrel shot as well as its own "good" barrel. I had assumed that the problem was solely barrel related, but this suggests it is more complicated.Just did that. The "bad" barrel in a "good" M&P shot as well as its own "good" barrel.

This is bizarre, as I assumed the M&P problem was with barrels, and this suggests it is more complicated.

It is. Much more complicated. I have shot groups that I was impressed with. Then I have thrown rounds high left (6 inches off my other group) and was like WTF??? I just thought I was having a bad day, but then I realized it wasn't me (which Mr. Ransom Rest helped with).

C4

Feedback Score
    Well, whatever it is, I hope S&W is committed to fixing it. I know the PPQ has been thrown around as a viable alternative, but there are a lot of reasons I want to try and stay with the M&P, which I won't get into now because I don't want to derail the thread. I've also thought about going to M&P in .40S&W, but the cost is prohibitive (and I don't want to get into another caliber debate).

Randy hinted that the M&P will go through a lot of change in the next two years. I also saw on another website that S&W, I think, filed a patent application for a new striker assembly.

Since I don't think I currently out shoot my M&P, I'm willing to be patient, but it would be reassuring to know from someone in the know that the issue(s) will be addressed and when. Maybe that's too wishful thinking.
    Last edited by USA; 01-27-12 at 16:40. Reason: sear should've been striker assembly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been away from the handgun forum for a while, and am just sort of catching up on the extent of this accuracy problem with the M&P.

I understand that one fix is to have Apex custom-fit a Barsto barrel to your M&P, total cost for a fitted barrel before shipping sounds like approx $365 (see Randy's post on est cost).

Question: Does anyone know if S&W service has any way of addressing this issue? Say that your M&P is shooting pie-plate sized groups at 25, will S&W actually have an idea of what causes this issue, and will they resolve it?

I've nothing against the custom fix, that sounds great. But it seems like some of these M&P's just sound wrong; they ought to be fixed under warranty if they are really shooting that badly from the factory.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You have to remember one thing, VERY FEW PEOPLE can shoot under 6MOA at 25yds for 10rds. So for most, the gun is perfectly acceptable (as they cannot out shoot the gun).

C4
    I'd be thrilled with 6 MOA at 25 yards, as that's about 1.5" for 10 round groups. I've yet to see a 9mm M&P that can achieve that standard from a rest (for 10 rounds).

My 9mm M&Ps (a FS and a Pro) string shots vertically over 6" to 8" at 25 yards with standard pressure ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You have to remember one thing, VERY FEW PEOPLE can shoot under 6MOA at 25yds for 10rds. So for most, the gun is perfectly acceptable (as they cannot out shoot the gun).

C4
    Does 6MOA at 25 yards = ( 1.0471996 / 4 ) x 6 = 1.6 inches?

I barely shoot that at 7 yards, but my groups are getting better, which is why I know the M&P still outshoots me. LOL.

Whoops, Mizer67 confirmed what 6MOA means.
    Last edited by USA; 01-27-12 at 17:16. Reason: Mizer67 beat me to the post.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Question: Does anyone know if S&W service has any way of addressing this issue? Say that your M&P is shooting pie-plate sized groups at 25, will S&W actually have an idea of what causes this issue, and will they resolve it?
    I just got one back from S&W today and will be shooting it Sunday, so I'll know more then. I sent it back for rust on the slide and mentioned accuracy issues as well, and they replaced the slide and the barrel. They sent it back with a note that says it meets spec. I'll try to post back Sunday with observations.

Oddly enough, they replaced the slide with one that has factory night sights on it—which it didn't have before—and the front lamp is dead.
    Last edited by bulbvivid; 01-27-12 at 18:09.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    I just got one back from S&W today and will be shooting it Sunday, so I'll know more then. I sent it back for rust on the slide and mentioned accuracy issues as well, and they replaced the slide and the barrel. They sent it back with a note that says it meets spec. I'll try to post back Sunday with observations.

Oddly enough, they replaced the slide with one that has factory night sights on it—which it didn't have before—and the front lamp is dead.
    Thanks for the reply--I'll be really interested to hear how your shooting tests turn out. If you don't mind, it would be great to hear what your groupings are like at 25 yards, before and after the S&W service work (and what type of ammo).

I'm actually interested in Randy's Apex custom barrel for one of my M&P's, but I probably won't upgrade all of mine to custom-fit barrels. I'm hoping for the other affected ones that S&W service will be willing/able to help out. But honestly, if they're just throwing a new barrel in there and hoping they get lucky, I doubt it's going to have much impact. As somebody found above, just putting a "good" barrel in a "bad" gun, doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Feedback Score

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast