Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? for those with HK LEM trigger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

?? for those with HK LEM trigger

What is the proper way to use this trigger set up? I've always been kinda confused by this.. assuming we're training,drawing the pistol, cold shot,timed,(say about 3 seconds)..Do you A. line the sights up, and pull the trigger all the way through..Or B. line the sights up and pull the trigger back to the "wall", or stage it if you will, and then fire? or is this a personal preference?
    Last edited by ralph; 12-18-12 at 10:42.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Only stage if doing slow-fire shooting for groups. Everything else is just squeezing away with sights on target and a grip that keeps front sight from wandering too much. Sometimes staging makes you focus too much on when the trigger will break instead of keeping the front sight on target.

Feedback Score
    Generally, personal preference.

When I shoot for accuracy I take out slack when going into aiming zone, when sights confirmed I start to squeeze to break the shot. Exactly same way I do with SA trigger in .22lr target pistol only LEM has much longer slack. Then I wait for gun to cycle completely until I let trigger to reset point (if shooting shot after shot) or to full forward (if shooting separate shots with rest between shots).

When I shoot for speed (competition), I start to take out slack during draw, but this happens on press out. I do not put finger inside triggerguard until barrel is directed toward targets. At the end of press out, when sights settle on target, I break the shot as fast as target size and distance (and my skill) allows.

Generally I use LEM like 2 stage SA trigger with very, very, very long first stage.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used to use my LEM similar to a 2 stage trigger as well. I'd prep the trigger on press out to the point of breaking the shot, then insure sight alignment and break the shot.

That was my preference, but it took a while to get trained to to do so. I would advocate against doing the trigger prepping unless you train the crap out of it. Even though you are prepping the trigger on press out and should be pointed safely down range, inadvertently letting a round down range before you are certain of the sight alignment/picture is not a good thing. Train, train, train and when you think you are good to go train some more.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Continuous pressure build up trying to avoid staging as much as I can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For those that have shot both..is the LEM like the PPQ trigger? The PPQ I dry fired at the LGS has a bunch of takeup with very little weight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I used to use my LEM similar to a 2 stage trigger as well. I'd prep the trigger on press out to the point of breaking the shot, then insure sight alignment and break the shot.

That was my preference, but it took a while to get trained to to do so. I would advocate against doing the trigger prepping unless you train the crap out of it. Even though you are prepping the trigger on press out and should be pointed safely down range, inadvertently letting a round down range before you are certain of the sight alignment/picture is not a good thing. Train, train, train and when you think you are good to go train some more.
    This^^^^
    About 100 rds into my first pistol pistol course I managed to comfortable and consistently stage the trigger during the press and then break the trigger once sights were properly aligned. I would not recommend this to someone not familiar with the LEM variants unless as TAZ mentioned you in a training environment. Since my LEM USPc is essentially the only pistol I shoot I feel confident in my abilities to stage the trigger in this manner. This may change since I bought a shield however.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    For those that have shot both..is the LEM like the PPQ trigger? The PPQ I dry fired at the LGS has a bunch of takeup with very little weight.
    Doug,
    I think the PPQ trigger is somewhere between a glock and LEM.
    I also think the PPQ is the best trigger I've pulled on a DA gun. Had I not found a shield locally on election day I would have a PPQ.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Generally I use LEM like 2 stage SA trigger with very, very, very long first stage.
    This is precisely how I describe the LEM to people who have not had any direct experience with the trigger system.

Personally, I feel the PPQ trigger is closer to somewhere between a Glock and a M&P with an Apex kit installed. The length of take-up on the LEM is pretty singular, and does not really compare to any other handgun triggers I have hands on experience with.

On the LEM I also try to take up most of the travel on press out if I am shooting for competition/speed, and break the shot with a clear sight picture. I then pretty much shoot reset, letting the trigger out during recoil. When I was first learning the trigger, I would catch myself "snatching" pretty badly as I was racing through the take up, and this often caused me to jerk on the trigger break. It is a difficult trigger to learn IMHO, but once you are used to it is is very smooth system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    It is a difficult trigger to learn IMHO, but once you are used to it is is very smooth system.
    I use LEM for like 10 years now. Initially I got it in German Police Model P2000 (v0). It was love from first sight, lasted some 100 rounds. Then there was about 2000 rounds of pure hate and then real love came back
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast