Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Beretta ARX160 Update

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MFWIC2 View Post
    Let's flip a coin.
    Out of this rifle and the Tavor.
    Which would you choose?

I'm taking sides with the Tavor.
    I would vote against the tavor simply because I have gained a great dislike over the years for any type of bullpup rifle. And there are some things that the ARX offers that the tavor simply does not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineSniper8541 View Post
    Just thought I would let you guys know. I am a PMC working an instructor job on a foreign special forces contract. My unit received over 1100 ARX 160 A2s and my platoon was tasked with test firing them ALL (sounded good at first but it's tedious).

We also have a large batch of HK 416s on order that have not yet arrived.

Today was the first day we took them out for testing. All I can say is WOW. I honestly believe they need to cancel our order of 416s. The rifle performs flawless. We tested it in both modes of fire, semi and then full auto. We also tested both ejection modes in left and right. The rifle's recoil is focused into its center of gravity. It has the lowest recoil impulse of any piston gun I have ever fired (and I've fired most of them). Everyone in my platoon immediately fell in love with the rifle. It is so versatile, so reliable, easy to use and has a very small learning curve when transitioning from an M4 platform. Today we fired over 100 of them and had zero malfunctions. I would like to see some sort of adjustable cheek comb added like the ACR and SCAR have, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Having fired the XCR, ACR, SCAR and 416 previously, and with over 20 years experience as a combat firearms instructor and former military guy, my honest opinion is that this is the rifle to save your money for if they hit the states. This thing runs like a sewing machine and is no doubt the most under rated rifle out there among the Gen 3 combat carbines. We also have the detachable grenade launchers but will not be taking those to the range for a month or so.
    No stoppages out of a hundred rifles? That's incredible but I'm sure that haters will find something to hate.

Did you change the barrel to see if it's really easy as promised?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
    No stoppages out of a hundred rifles? That's incredible but I'm sure that haters will find something to hate.

Did you change the barrel to see if it's really easy as promised?
    Yes. Our kits come complete with the 16 inch barrel, the short CQB barrel, a suppressor, bayonet and also conversion kits to 7.62x39 with barrels, bolts and magazines.

The barrel change and removal for cleaning is just stupid easy. No loss of zero after replacing the same barrel either. The only trick is that you have to slide the piston up toward the muzzle end in order to get it out of the receiver without it being slightly difficult to remove but that is very easy.
    We fired the third batch of 115 rifles today. So the count is 345 of 1163 rifles with zero malfunctions. We will have been through all of them by the end of next week.

You can have a shooter induced malfunction, though. If you do not make sure that you have the ejection selector pin completely pushed to the left or right, it puts the extractors in a neutral position and you will have guaranteed malfunctions. This is a training issue that will be addressed with the troops. When you change its position, you get a very positive click so it isn't difficult to know if it has been changed correctly.

They are also including in the kit a removable ejection port cover that can be attached by way of the two sling keepers on either side of the receiver. This cover is for use if you are in a very austere environment and want to limit the possibility of debris entering the mechanism. It will totally block out which ever side of the receiver you clip it onto. This, of course precludes the option of having the charging handle on the opposite side of ejection, but I can see it will have its uses when needed. You can easily remove it again by popping it back off (impossible to do by accident). It is made from polymer.

Oh, one last thing. Word about the rifle is getting around fast in my unit. Guys have been showing up at the range begging for a chance to shoot them. We welcome this since every guy is having to fire about 8-10 rifles per day so it helps us get done faster. Mind you, there is some serious experience in my unit ranging from SF, SEALs, former Delta, Marines and also SF types from other countries around the world. So take this for what it's worth. There hasn't been anything but admiration for this new rifle from all of us.

The ONE thing that takes some getting used to is that it is slightly more difficult to get the bolt locked to the rear than the M4 platform. You have to press in on the center magazine release in front of the trigger guard before you cycle the bolt to the rear in order to lock the bolt to the rear. It is slightly awkward compared to a side mounted bolt catch lever, but once you get familiar enough with it, it's no big deal.
    Last edited by MarineSniper8541; 05-01-12 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the cornucopia of info. Nothing better than having people in-the-know abusing the stuff and passing on the results.

This thing would also be the best rifle for jumping back and forth between 5.56 and 7.62x35. That barrel change would make it beyond stupid simple... assuming they decide to make a barrel for the Blackout.

How easy is the 7.62x39 conversion? I am going to assume a new bolt and some kind of modular mag well attachment/replacement?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shred4Him View Post
    Thanks for the cornucopia of info. Nothing better than having people in-the-know abusing the stuff and passing on the results.

This thing would also be the best rifle for jumping back and forth between 5.56 and 7.62x35. That barrel change would make it beyond stupid simple... assuming they decide to make a barrel for the Blackout.

How easy is the 7.62x39 conversion? I am going to assume a new bolt and some kind of modular mag well attachment/replacement?
    The conversion kit includes one 16" 7.62x39mm barrel, bolt, complete lower receiver and one AK magazine (Bulgarian mfg.) The lower receivers are not serial numbered so it's not a "firearm".
    Last edited by MarineSniper8541; 06-07-12 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    New guns are a good thing and I look forward to someday getting my hands on an ARX160 and adding one to the pile!

Thanx for the update

Larry Vickers
    Tac-TV.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MFWIC2 View Post
    Let's flip a coin.
    Out of this rifle and the Tavor.
    Which would you choose?

I'm taking sides with the Tavor.
    In the Time Honored Tradition of 'myself", when in doubt, take both!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doodi1 View Post
    In the Time Honored Tradition of 'myself", when in doubt, take both!
    I agree. I plan on picking up both but I have to say, having zero experience with bull pups, I'm more intrigued by the ARX and the great features that they could bring to market here, barring a ACR fiasco sequel.

Leave the guns...bring the cannolis.
    Give me but one firm spot on which to stand and I will move the Earth. -Archimedes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineSniper8541 View Post
    Yes. Our kits come complete with the 16 inch barrel, the short CQB barrel, a suppressor, bayonet and also conversion kits to 7.62x39 with barrels, bolts and magazines.
    How does it handle in 7.62x39? Same rate of fire?

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I've changed my mind after reading more about the Beretta ARX160.
    I'd like to have a SBR model in both calibers.
    Were talking $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast