Thread: R1A1 Sporter Hesse questions

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

R1A1 Sporter Hesse questions

A buddy stumbled into this rifle and from what I can tell from internet research, its an FAL. I don't know anything about this or these rifles. I plan to take this one out to the range and see if it shoots. It has CAI stamped on the barrel. I found this to mean Century Arms International. Is this a reputable builder? Everything appears functional - bolt release, mag catch and release, sights are attached and operational. Overall, the rifle appears solid and in good shape. I am pretty sure he wants to sell it, what else do I need to know about this weapon to prep it for sale? Thanks for the info.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    I would suggest that you look at FalFiles.com. If it were me, I would set the rifle down and say "Thank you for your time" and walk away. But hey, you might get lucky.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    I would suggest that you look at FalFiles.com. If it were me, I would set the rifle down and say "Thank you for your time" and walk away. But hey, you might get lucky.
    I've browsed the "files" already. It seems the overriding opinion is that the Hesse line is inferior, with some lucky owners out there running flawless. I'll have to double check and make sure it's not an Imbel. Would it be a steal of a deal at $400?
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    $400 plus the possible cost of a new reciever $350-450 plus what ever a FAL gunsmith might charge, its not looking that good to me. FAL's are not like AR they take time to make them work. Plus most of the parts are surplus.

If the gun runs well then yes $400 is a good deal. I just saw a completetly rebuild and painted CAI R1A1 going for $875 locally. If you buy it and it sort of works read this.
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hlight=ramp%2A
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=222822

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Hesse is the bottom of the dregs of the bottom. If they were involved in any way, that's a problem.

Century is not so great either, but definitely not as bad. Some of the Century-assembled FALs are actually quite decent - the ones from the 90's built on IMBEL receivers (genuine FN-licensed, FN-tooling receivers) with the better condition earlier parts kits. You have to know what you're looking at. IMBEL receivers will say, somewhere, IMBEL.

The IMBEL receivers dried up around 2004 or so, after which Century went to a US-made cast receiver. Initially it was terrible, but it has recently improved to mediocre. It's nothing I would buy in any case.

Not sure if this helps because I'm not sure what you're looking for. If it shoots then I suppose you can just help him sell it and not need to claim any detailed knowledge.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Hesse & CAI are complete crapola. Avoid as if it was a plague carrier.

Feedback Score
    Century is bad enough on its own. Throw Hesse, with an even worse reputation, in the mix and the answers is: RUN!

Feedback Score
    i'm not aware of a hesse/century partnership but if hesse is in anyway involved with the rifle you're looking at i'd stay away from it. hesse is the all time worse firearms manufacturer and there are numerous horror stories involving hesse firearms but if it's a century build 400 is a good price. i purchased a century L1A1 back in 99 and it ran 100% with decent accuracy. i foolishly sold it but should have held onto it.