Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck on a couple of choices, Spikes or DS Arms

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
    colt is absolutely out of the question. I will do my best to never buy a colt product ever again.

Do yall remember when colt stopped selling their products to the public a few years ago? If I was not good enough to buy a colt product then, they do not need my money now.

So it would be better to go with a Spikes then with a DS Arms?
    Ahh. You're one of those customers. But you want to buy a Spikes? You know...the same company that increased prices by 200% the night Obama was elected?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Google, ar15.com, m4carbine,,,, various other gun forums.

My first 2 choices were between BCM and Spikes. From what I have read, people rank BCM and Spikes right in with each other.

When 2 products are ranked with each other, I can not justify spending extra money on a given product.
    You didn't catch my rhetoric, I figured you had spent time on ar15.com.

You have read wrong. Spikes and BCM are on completely different playing fields.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    If I HAD to choose between those two spikes would be my choice. However id look into a bcm or hell even a psa first.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You didn't catch my rhetoric, I figured you had spent time on ar15.com.
    No.

When a post from ar15 comes up in google I will read through it. I might have signed up on AR15 4 or 5 years ago, but I do not think I have ever posted there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You have read wrong. Spikes and BCM are on completely different playing fields.
    I looked through the famous M4carbine comparison chart, there did not seem that be that much difference between BCM and spikes.

If yall are suggesting BCM, I am willing to take that into consideration.

Like I said before, BCM and Spikes were two of my first choices. But it seemed that people ranked spikes and BCM together as in being equal quality.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Had Spikes stuff in the past and for the money I consider them to be worth it for the price. I have an LMT now, but am building a few spikes rifles for friends, as they are on tight budgets and trying to sve some money for ammo.

One thing for sure is the finish on Spikes stuff is high up there. The finish on my LMT is more along the lines of function over form. I don't care if my rifle looks perfect, but some do. The quality in my LMT is enough to give me the warm fuzzies. That's what's important to me.
    "The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself." - Sun Tzu

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you're the type that won't buy Colt because of what they did to on the civilian market, then surely you won't want Spikes either. Not only did they increase prices, they then blamed their distributors, who then called them on it.

I will not buy Spikes products. Call me whatever you want, but even if they make a good product, which it appears they base models work ok, I don't care for what they did and their gimmicky products and marketing. I don't mean to piss anyone off here, but Spikes has a "unique" customer base. Not all customers of course, but there's definitely a "Spike's customer".

Anyway, since you've ruled out Colt, I think it would only be fair to rule out Spikes. DSA may make a quality FAL, but their ARs don't get a lot of good reports.

Believe me, I hate to recommend something other than what the poster is asking about, but in this case, I can't see any better choice than BCM. You should be able to find one for the same price as a comparable Spikes. Check with Grant at G&R.

If you feel you have to buy a Spikes, stick to their base models and add a handguard later. And please, do not get a colorfilled lower.

Edit - I think one thing that really sets BCM apart is all of the options. You can have it delivered with any combination of handguards, irons, optics, grips, stocks, etc. I have a 14.5" now and it's done everything I've asked of it.

Edit - I own a Colt and am picking up another soon. I just wanted to be clear that as frustrating as things were, I will buy Colt products.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 01-20-12 at 10:33.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    This is how my research was going

BCM or Spikes

A lot of people say BCM and Spikes are about the same quality, so I dropped the BCM.

I like the quality of my DS Arms FN/FAL so I added DSA to the options. Then the choices were DS Arms or Spikes.

There seems to be a few questions about the quality of the steel used by DS Arms, so I guess I am back to BCM or Spikes.

The rifle at BCM I am looking at is the BCM MID-16 Mod 0.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    If you're the type that won't buy Colt because of what they did to on the civilian market, then surely you won't want Spikes either. Not only did they increase prices, they then blamed their distributors, who then called them on it.
    I did not know spikes tried to price gouge after the election.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 01-20-12 at 10:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy a BCM. Get over the Colt thing. Read the stickies in each sub-forum.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Buy a BCM.
    10-4

Get over the Colt thing.
    When the CEO of colt comes to my house, kisses my butt and apologizes, then, and only then, will I even "consider" buying a colt.

I do not take kindly to companies that say I am no good enough to buy their product. If that is the way they want to be, they are not good enough for my money.

Read the stickies in each sub-forum.
    10-4

~ EDIT ~

Just called the local gun store. The owner is getting me a price on a BCM midlength 16 mod 0.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 01-20-12 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When the CEO of colt comes to my house, kisses my butt and apologizes, then, and only then, will I even "consider" buying a colt.
    The short yellow bus convoy is long this month.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast