Thread: Stuck on a couple of choices, Spikes or DS Arms

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Stuck on a couple of choices, Spikes or DS Arms

Over the past few months I have been looking at buying another AR. My current AR is a Bushmaster XM15 made back during the assault rifle ban. After doing a good bit of research I have narrowed down my choices to a Spikes or a DS Arms.

Spikes - makes a great rifle, is mil-spec, people love it.

DS Arms - known more for its FN/FAL then its AR-15s.

The thing is, I have a DS Arms FN/FAL. The fit and finish is great, the rifle shoots fantastic, nice groups at 100 yards,,,.

Both the DS Arms and Spikes have a lifetime warranty.

Due to my experience with DS Arms, I would like to continue to give them my business. The thing is, the DS AR-15 does not get as much love from the AR community as a Spikes.

Looking at some of the specs of the DSA AR-15, it may not be fully mil-spec. But then again, does someone need a "fully" mil-spec rifle? The last time I looked, my backyard was not a battlefield.

The rifle is mostly going to be used for target shooting, home and personal protection. I live on the gulf coast in a Hurricane prone area. When a hurricane passes though, I would like to have a rifle I can rely on to protect my home and family. During Hurricane Ike and Rita there were no problems around here. But I like to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Buying the DS Arms AR-15 could save me around $200. If I buy a Spikes, could I expect $200 in higher quality over the DSA?

I do not mind spending the extra money on a Spikes. My choices are along the lines of I have experience with DS Arms, and no experience with Spikes. If I am happy with a product, its kinda difficult to change brands.
    Last edited by ~kev~; 01-20-12 at 09:20.