Thread: Stainless Steel for a Duty Weapon?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some people with experience seem to really like stainless barrels in a combat zone... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10551
    Last edited by Cameron; 01-12-12 at 17:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Some people with experience seem to really like stainless barrels in a combat zone... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10551
    Sure, of course they're a good option, especially so for guys that know what they're doing and on specialized teams.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, I think the deciding factor thugh would be my job. Will I be out on foot a majority of the time or will I be in a vehicle. Will my average engagement be 100 meters of 400 meters, etc.

Personally, I'm thinking about picking up a 16" lightweight Noveske stainless barrel. I'd really like a stainless barrel in there N4 profile, but it appears those are only CHF barrels.

With many of the guys I've trained with and have seen shoot, I don't think stainless would bring anything to the table. Only a small percentage would see a difference. For those that are in that group, it'll all come down to the job itself and what works best.

Edit - My stainless Ed Brown 1911 showed rust every couple days of carry, while my coated carbon steel Nighthawks didn't. If I buy a stainless barrel, I'd rather have one that's IonBonded.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 01-12-12 at 17:28.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe