Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection,, Which one to buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    any particular model of the Sordin's one should look for?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Sordin's are king, followed by the COMTAC II's.

The TAC 6's have have nasty habit of breaking (gone through two pair myself and have seen many others fail).

C4
    Glad to hear the Sordin's worked for somebody. I purchased two sets and returned them because I didn't like using a rubber mallet to remove the lower battery. Otherwise they fit and worked great.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 08-30-15 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Hearing protection,, Which one to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by hardshell View Post
    why don't you try with little much price like 139$ for Hi-Point C-9 9mm 3.5" barrel 8 Rnds
    I'm guessing English is not your first language, but please try to reword this so it is legible.
    Last edited by Nightstalker865; 05-02-16 at 06:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Little off topic, but I like combining Surefire flanged earplugs and Digital earmuff on top for indoor range.

Feedback Score

The TAC 6's have have nasty habit of breaking (gone through two pair myself and have seen many others fail).

C4
    I agree with Grant. Spend the money on the Sordin's or Comtac's. Ive also gone through two pair of Tac 6S. Buy once, cry once.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

C4
    Yep, I have two dead sets in my gear. Now I use the cheap, yellow lawn crew ear pro with a radio.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I would not rule out a set of custom ear plugs.

I went to my local audiologist and had a custom pair of ear plugs cast. Investment was at $100 plus tax. It has been the best money spent. Took about two weeks to get once they made a mold. You have a couple of options. I went for the solid plug, but you can get, for a lack of a better term, an "insert" in the plug that will only allow a certain decibel level of sound through, very similar to the Surefire EarPro. Once you get used to them AND they have been properly fitted for you I can wear them all day and be just fine. I can take them in and out quickly. I had them put a small lanyard type string between them so I can keep track of them when I take them out. I have even started caring them with me on the job (EMT/FF) for some of the noise hazards that I encounter.

I also enjoy the fact that my earpro do not interfere with my hat or sun/protective glasses.

Just my $0.02 :-)
    Yes.

EAR makes great custom earpro. They will make them with any type of inserts you want for things like comms. They are worth every penny.

Feedback Score
    I've got a pair of Surefire Earpro's, I've shot everything from .22 pistols, .45, 12 ga. to my 16" .308 FAL. I think they work great. And , they're only $10-, so what do you have to loose?

Feedback Score
    Couple quick questions for you guys:

1) Is there a difference between the Peltor Tac-6 and the Tac-6-S? The S looks lower-profile, which I like, but I'd hate to be surprised with poorer performance.

2) Are the Howard Leight Impact Sports water-proof/resistant? They're looking like a great entry option for someone on a budget, but if they can't handle a little rain that's a deal-breaker for me.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Finally some place I have a qualified opinion to share...

Background: I grew up around small aircraft, gunfire, boats, and loud music.

I had my hearing tested for a medical physical 2 years ago. This included sitting in an office with head phones on, not in a sound proof room, and raising my hands when I heard the sounds. Test was conducted by a local audiologist. I thought these tests were supposed to be in a sound proof room but this one was not. The audiologist concluded my test with "you have some of the best hearing I've ever tested". TAKE THAT WIFE!!!

I had my hearing tested again 2 weeks ago for another physical. This time I was in a sound proof chamber and had a clicker to indicate when I heard sounds. Test was conducted by a different audiologist. This time, the audiologist told me he was going to frame my test results due to them being the best results he'd ever seen. He even made me take the test again to confirm. STRIKE 2 WOMAN!!!

I consider this an equalizer from God since my eye sight is complete shit.

The point of this information. I've always used high quality headsets in the airplane however, I have shot a CONSIDERABLE amount in the last 2 years with nothing more than standard foam earplugs found at walmart.

About as scientific as I can make my experience.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast