Quote Originally Posted by bullitt5172 View Post
Stony, is there any advantage to the 12 o'clock mount over a 6 o'clock mount?
I did it for one primary (95%) reason and one borderline aesthetic and possibly practical (5%) reason.

Primary: The light and hence the beam is closer to my line of sight. Potentially, the light at the 6 o'clock might have some of the beam obscured by the barrel. What I am shooting at is above the bore line, not below it.

Since I run a standard FSB, with the light at the 12 o'clock the light is "below" the profile of the FSB. It's slightly and I emphasize, slightly protected by the FSB. If I have the light at the 6 o'clock I make the profile/footprint of my weapon larger.

At the Green Lake Tactical Association (GTA) Sniper Match I had to engage targets with my carbine through a horizontal slit. Although this was a daylight shoot, if it required illumination, I would have been hosed with the light at 6 o'clock or I would have had to rotate my carbine 90 degrees about the long axis and shoot it gangsta' style yo!

With my setup if there was a hybrid of the X200 or X300 and the Scout light, I think it would be the ideal light for the 12 o'clock position. The question is: would there be enough of a demand/market to make it worthwhile for Surefire to make such a product?