Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside the M4 envelope?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Outside the M4 envelope?

I know this is M4Cabine.net and we all love M4 variants, but what is your preference and why when operating outside of the standard 0-250 envelope?

I'm not talking about getting hits. I know you can get hits at 1000yds with an iron-sighted AR.

But when you really, truly want to feel good about your ability to impact your target beyond the 250 yd effective range of an M4 with an Aimpoint, what do you grab?

.308? 6.8? .338?

Bolt or semi-auoto? Which and why?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I usually shoot a mid-length and 77s to 600 routinely, topped with a 3-9 Leupold TS-30A2.

A standard 20-inch will do the same. A 16- or 22-inch 7.62 AR-10T (to 600-800) if I just want to hear hits on steel E-types.

If I'm hunting whitetails, mulies, or pronghorns (at altitude) I'll swing a 16-inch AR-10T or (most of the time) a 308 Remington 700.

The last elk cow I shot was with a 22-inch 308 with a suppressor, but I'll probably use a TRG-42 in 338 Lapua if I need reach.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I usually shoot a mid-length and 77s to 600 routinely, topped with a 3-9 Leupold TS-30A2.

A standard 20-inch will do the same. A 16- or 22-inch 7.62 AR-10T (to 600-800) if I just want to hear hits on steel E-types.

If I'm hunting whitetails, mulies, or pronghorns (at altitude) I'll swing a 16-inch AR-10T or (most of the time) a 308 Remington 700.

The last elk cow I shot was with a 22-inch 308 with a suppressor, but I'll probably use a TRG-42 in 338 Lapua if I need reach.
    Ya, I was gonna say that with the bonded and TSX loads out there, a 16-20" AR can really reach out there (and be lethal).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 11-29-12 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If I were to the state of pushing the/my limits with the m4, my next step would be a .308. like an LMT with a Leupold 2-10x

common round
    accurate
    lethal
    whats not to like?
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 11-29-12 at 16:23.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    What target and what context? I am a little lost. What exactly are we shooting?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Good question! I think maybe the 'bull'.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    What target and what context? I am a little lost. What exactly are we shooting?
    Bad guys far away or behind cover (auto glass maybe) or both. Deer or larger game past 200 yds.

Larry Vickers has made the point several times including in his class I attended that the M4 is a 200 yd weapon.

Do you guys believe that a 16" match barreled AR with heavy ammo takes the place of a bolt action .308?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    .......308? 6.8? .338?........
    Yeah. And 300 magnum and 30-06 and 260 Remington. Lots of others.

....Bolt or semi-auto?....
    Yeah. And single shots.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I see you might be on the same thought process that I went through in regards to where your other thread was heading...since you've already brought up the topic here that I was going to build my point around in the other thread, then I'll just continue here...

IRT an accurate AR pattern rifle, Sinister is (of course) right on the money about the effective range that you can get out of it using the heavy 77gr bullets. At that range, it really doesn't matter what you use (OTM fragmenting round vs. modern bonded SP or TSX round) since they will all behave like FMJ after about 300m, as far as terminal ballistics go. Accuracy is the obvious main concern once terminal ballistics becomes a moot point.

Now enters the thought process where you think you need even more range (say a legit 1,000m gun), in which case you think you need a .308/.300WM/.338 ect....that's fine and all, and more power to you if you want it, but I have just one question for you...

Under the pretense that you are a civilian in a hypothetical EOW scenario where taking a shot at long range is [hypothetically] justifible:
    At what range do you feel it is more tactically sound to hold your shot and avoid a gunfight than to take the shot and announce your presence to the "enemy"?

I would bet if you answered that truthfully, and threw out the .001% chance that you HAVE to take a LONG range shot, then you would say that that range is well within the effective "envelope" of the M4...if you were active military, then the requirement to reach out further would most likely be there. But for a civvy, in even the worst hypothetical EOW scenario, I just don't see it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Ok, now I have context to go on. Yes, I know what Larry has said, and I tend to agree- to a point.

I know of several incidents in which a 5.56 rifle/carbine was used to ranges much greater then 200 yards and they were effective. Primarlily because of good ammo, optics and putting the rounds where they needed to go.

A properly built and accurate 16" AR with a good optic and ammo outshines a bolt action in my opinion.

In the civilian world, I tend to think of "reality" and the world I live in. There are very few if any scenarios in which a civilian is going to engage someone past 200 yards and be able to articulate and justify their actions in a court of law.

Bad guys far away or behind cover (auto glass maybe) or both. Deer or larger game past 200 yds.

Larry Vickers has made the point several times including in his class I attended that the M4 is a 200 yd weapon.

Do you guys believe that a 16" match barreled AR with heavy ammo takes the place of a bolt action .308?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast