Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the obsession with making them light?

Feedback Score

Why the obsession with making them light?

I got into this conversation with a fellow shooter a couple weeks ago, who was a career marine, and his opinion now that he is out, he could care less what the rifle weighs.

I can understand if you are required to hump the rifle all day every day along with a shitload of other gear where you would want to cut every ounce possible, but for general civilian use? Even LEO?

The most that I could see having to lug the rifle would be either hunting or a training class.

My 16" comes in at just over 8# and my Mk12 at 10.5#. Ive taken classes with both, and at the end of the day the weight is not impacting my performance, nor am I fatigued from the repetition in going from hanging, to ready, to fire. I doubt that 2-3# more is going to make that much of a difference in a day's worth of hiking on a hunting trip.

Even in my competition archery days, it was the same thing, people getting light bows and low draw weights (we were just punching paper after all). I could still shoot a perfect match with my equipment, and a pull weight 30# above everyone else. I found myself more stable with the weight than shooting a light bow and low draw weight.

It would seem that the super light goal would have negative impact on weapon control (recoil).

So what's the fuss?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    My rifle is somehow fat and is around 9 pounds with light, comp M3, 12" LITE hanguards, and is 16". People have lighter rifles, and say mine is too heavy, one person even said the rail is stupid and I am in idiot for having that "extra weight." Then again, he does not own my rifle, nor does he know why I wanted a rail...

I do not know why people think 9 or 10 pound rifles are such a big deal. When I take it to the mountains where we camp and shoot. I am holding it all day shooting, never once did I say "boy do I wish I got that magpul MOE handguards to save that 8oz's"

I can see if you are carry a 40 pound backpack, that you want the least amount of weight as possible. I, still, do not think 9-10 pounds is all that bad, evening while jogging up and down this ditch to get to my targets.

Maybe if you jump over haystacks it is better for the rifle to be lighter?

Feedback Score
    I don't mind a little extra weight if it serves a purpose, but in my experience a lighter carbine is easier to handle.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    A gun being extremely front heavy I find to be extremely annoying - when it's balanced I don't notice how heavy a gun is unless it really starts to climb up there in weight. On hunting trips though I REALLY care about how much my gun weighs as when you are packing 100+ pounds of meat on your back + your camp you really don't want anything to weigh any more than is absolutely necessary.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everyone has a different tolerance/comfort zone so a carbine or rifle that is 10lbs might not be a big deal to some people and a big deal for others. Balance seems to play a role in how it feels. I personally like my sub 7lb carbine which handles like a feather with a lightweight 14.5" barrel. With a can, I can feel the additional mass but it doesn't slow me down and feels more like a 6940. It's notably more nimble than my Mk12 but I am not fatigued by the Mk12 even with the Ops can. On the flip side, I find my Sako TRG-22 pleasantly heavy and very well-balaced at 15lbs but many people to balk at a bolt-action rifle that heavy.
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    I think my 14.5 middy weights something like 9.6lbs unloaded. BCM EAG model with a T-1, SOPMOD, and VCAS. Doesn't bother me if it means I have to do one extra arm curl rep.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you'll agree that using words like "obsession" and "fuss" could be an indicator of personal bias. I didn't realize anyone was on a weight shaving crusade/jihad.

None of my rifles are featherweight, but neither are they weighted down with anything i don't need. I have no problem with a 24 pound machine gun, but I don't see the need for a 10 pound AR.

Things should weigh what they need to weigh to perform the function for which they were designed. Why carry more than you need to?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Because I'm getting old. Losing muscle mass. I want them light for those 4hr hunts, and 1 min stages in 3 gun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's all personal preference. If you can wield around a rifle that weighs a ton good for you. I like my rifles to be no more than 8# at the most. Really the important thing for me is balance.

Feedback Score
    Even in hunting knowing that you will be lugging meat, along with all your gear, I'd have to say you made that bed. You have no idea what your game is going to weigh after field dressing. You don't say to yourself, "Should have shot something smaller".

Are you looking to cut 2-3# in rifle weight, or ditch the camp stool or any number of other camping comforts (presuming it's more than a day trip). Heck - you filled your tag, why not ditch the survival food you packed in as a just in case.

I can see cutting weight for balance (or in some cases adding weight).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast