Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 Barnes 70 Grain TSX Performance

Feedback Score
    The USGI 3X Magnifier has a huge 50mm objective lens that really gives a surprising FOV and clarity at night.

I would move the Eotech an inch or so back except for the Butler Creek lens flip up cover. Works really good as it is now though.

Feedback Score

Smile

The ITT PVS-14 Pinnacle Night Enforcer with the NV Eotech and USGI 3X Magnifier is so damn nice I can see the coyotes teeth shining in the pitch dark @ 200+ yards.

Freakin' nice!

Feedback Score
    Here is the DBAL-I2 Visible green laser @ 225 yards.

Feedback Score
    I am ordering another one of these EagleTacTC100C2 MKII IR 850nm Flashlights?

It puts out 3.4W of 850nm IR unseeable IR from an Osram LED bulb running off a Lithium-Ion 18650 lasting three hours on high and more than 12 hours on low (500mW).

One for a handheld and one for a weapon mount, they work outstanding with a nice flood and spill! out past 300 yards and I never shoot over 225 yards which is the maximum range of my rifle and cartridge anyhow.

Game Cam tree @ 225 yards with the IR on, no shadows and clear vision into the treeline:

Horses @ 150 yards no IR

Horses @ 150 yards with IR

The pole barn in the background, that you cannot see without the IR flashlight, is 300 yards away.....

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26971.html

Feedback Score

Smile

Here is a shot of my horses in the horse pasture with the ITT PVS-14 with no magnification and no IR illumination:

Here is the same shot with the 500mW IR on:

The photos do not do reality justice but you can see the IR flashlight reaches out to the far tree line almost 1/2 mile away...and that is on low 500mW, not high 3.4W, simply awesome!
    Last edited by SkyPup; 03-31-12 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    Is the PVS-14 pinnacle pretty durable? I got the impression that the standard PVS-14's while not as bright were more durable? Also have you tried the 62 grain TSX?
    "Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." Ronald Regan

Feedback Score
    You have turned shooting hogs into both a science and an art.

Do you get paid to do pest control, or is this a self-financed pork elimination crusade? Either way, awesome equipment. I think I may bring my own AR on my first hog hunt now that I see how effective a well placed 5.56 round can be on them.
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
    Is the PVS-14 pinnacle pretty durable? I got the impression that the standard PVS-14's while not as bright were more durable? Also have you tried the 62 grain TSX?
    The PVS is a very durable instrument with over 10,000 hours of run time on the image intensifier.

It is only rated for 5.56mm and below though as it will be damaged if it received over 500G's, some people have used them on 6.8 SPCs but long term use on anything over 5.56mm is not suggested.

The 62 grain Barnes TSX is just as good on hogs as the 70 grain TSX is IMHO if bullet is placed properly, I reload them both.

Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Find ManBearPig! View Post
    You have turned shooting hogs into both a science and an art.

Do you get paid to do pest control, or is this a self-financed pork elimination crusade? Either way, awesome equipment. I think I may bring my own AR on my first hog hunt now that I see how effective a well placed 5.56 round can be on them.
    We just went on a 28,000 acre State Wildlife Park and Sanctuary last night for the first time after we got a five year contract for hog and coyote removal, the place is absolutely crawling with hogs and 'yotes with massive rooting everywhere and plenty of 'yote scat on the jeep trails. Have been working and getting ready for this for the last two years.

Plenty of man toys.....

So little time.....
    Last edited by SkyPup; 04-01-12 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    Field of view and brightness is very very good.

I use this rifle as a hog & coyote sniper rifle and it has nailed many a hog with Barnes 70 grain TSX hand loads with obviously one shot!

I actually get a decent check weld on it and it is super light weight, even with the IR I850nm Illuminator and a Klarus 1,200 lumen dual Cree XML torch on top, it weighs less than 9 pounds.

Makes for a great stand sniper rifle as it shoots less than 1/2 MOA day in and now day out!

The NV view through the scope is actually much much better than my crummy photos show.

I need to get another PVS-14 from Vic so I can use my helmet for situational awareness while using the scope mount, or another IR laser.....

Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast