Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 Barnes 70 Grain TSX Performance

Feedback Score
    Was on my stand @ 9:30PM tonight with my SIG 556 with the ITT PVS-14 mounted on the rail and the DBAL-I2 IR Laser. The magazine was filled with handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX bullets.

I was using a FLIR PS-32 to scan for any heat signatures and a couple of does, rabbits and coons had been milling around when I noticed a large hot object coming out of the tree canopy into the opening near my game feeder.

Turned on the PVS-14 for ID and it was a nice big boar about 375 pounds, slipped a hot round into his lungs right behind his shoulder right at 185 yards using the DBAL-I2 IR laser and he ran about 50 feet and spun in a circle and died.

Lots of fine BBQ from this one, he will feed quite a few!

Last edited by SkyPup; 06-09-12 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    Holy Cow! The tenderloins on this beast were three feet long!

And we recovered the Barnes 70 grain TSX buried in the shoulder on the far side, pics to come....

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Here is the 70 grain Barnes TSX bullet recovered from the 375 pound boar shot @ 185 yards after it toasted both lungs and embedded in the shield on the other side:

Feedback Score
    When I grow up I wanna' be Skypup.

Geez, every day there's a story and picture better than the day before.

Most dangerous and exciting "varmint" I've bagged recently was a 2 gallon jug of water that I cornered in my lane at Range 14, Ft. Dix, NJ last Sunday.

I do have to point out that the 70g TSX from Silver State Armory did do a rather spectacular job of eliminating that jug at about 150 yards.

Feedback Score

Talking

You don't have to grow up to join us since we haven't grown up ourselves yet!

But a 70 grain TSX in a gallon jug is way more impressive than a 55 grain M-193 is!

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

The front shoulders of this hog are now 60 pounds of sausage.

Half is sweet Italian the other half is bratwurst.

Some of the Italian was kept out of the case for meatballs and pasta sauces.

The tenderloins were three feet long and three inches in diameter.

Both the hams are ready for the oven....

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Shot this yote with the FLIR T-50 thermal last night using Barnes 70 grain TSX at 190 yards in the pitch dark.

Exit would from the TSX is very substantial..

This was a particularly exciting hunt that had the adrenaline going strong for about 45 minutes.

I first called this dog in using Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster and he came right in about twenty feet from my Jack Attack decoy but I was on top of a ridge and all I could see was his head popping up in front of me about 60 feet in front of me. I had his head in my sight two or three times and then my wife walked up from behind me to tell me she was going shopping and he took off….he circled the dry prairie pond in front of me and went deep into the tall dog-fennels so I could not see him. He came out of the fennels trotting across my view twice but each time I held off waiting for him to stop for a lethal shot.

I called him back in again using Pup Distress and had a nice shot at him straight in front of me about 75 yards and squeezed the trigger slowly and CLICK -> no shell in the chamber. Chambered a round and he took off into the distant tree line.

I went back into the house to get my A-Alpha helmet and PVS-14 on and as soon as I walked off the carport I could see two distinct dark contrasted shapes out to my game cam about 250 yards. I slowly snuck down to my log stand setup and looked through the FLIR T-50 Thermal and saw two nice dogs @ 175 yards in front of me beside the game cam tree munching on some wild boar offal I had dumped there last weekend.

For some reason, one dog took off and went into the tree line and I lost him, but this one walked on over behind the game cam and stopped @ 185-190 yard behind my game cam (game cam tree is laser measured 175 yards), I put the crosshairs on him and he dropped. When he did, the other one came charging out of the woods and hightailed it across my view.

The whole hunt took about 45 minutes and I just wish I had the micro Digital Video Recorder hooked up to the thermal because I would have had some fantastic recording of this hunt.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

275 pound boar taken @ 175 yards with Barnes 70 Grain TSX.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20.../T60%20Hog.wmv

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Bad Skypup..... talking about all that tasty pork and not inviting all of M4C over for a cook-out!

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Bad Skypup..... talking about all that tasty pork and not inviting all of M4C over for a cook-out!
    The two tenderloins were almost three feet long!

P.S. Here is the wicked FLIR T-60 640X480 Thermal:

And DBAL-D2:

This thing slaps the big boars down like Thor's hammer...

Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast