Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: After you pull the trigger

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great read thank you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
    Can anyone recommend some really good books on internal ballistics and on designing semi auto guns?
    I have a pdf of Theory of the Interior Ballistics of Guns, by J. Corner.
    (I just recently got it and havent read it yet, but it was recommended.)
    Any other titles I should look for?
    There is no light reading material on this. There are a lot of articles in the Journal of Applied Physics,
    Fiser, M. and Popelinsky, L. Small Arms
    Peter, H. Mechanical Engineering. PRINCIPLES OF ARMAMENT DESIGN
    Hayes, J., T. Elements of Ordnance
    lots of papers from these guys -> http://www.unob.cz
    Last edited by ZRH; 06-26-11 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, ZRH. I'll have a look for some of those titles.

Feedback Score

Pressure and volume

As I understand it...
    According to Boyle's Law, in any closed system, volume and pressure of gas are inversely proportional. The gas system of the AR-15 is a closed system until the bullet exits the muzzle, at which time the pressure within the gas system rapidly drops to atmospheric. Gas port diameter really controls resistance of gas entering the gas tube, that is how quickly it allows the gas tube to fill and the gas to reach the carrier key (gas lag time). The volume in the system is dependent on barrel length and gas tube length because both of these allow for more room for the gas to expand...as the gas is given more room to expand, the pressure within the system decreases. In short, you cannot affect volume or pressure of gas without also affecting the other; they are not independent.
    Jonah Salyers, Cpl. USMC (0311)
    EMT-B, SARTECH II
    ------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." -Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlayerG2-1 View Post
    As I understand it...
    According to Boyle's Law, in any closed system, volume and pressure of gas are inversely proportional. The gas system of the AR-15 is a closed system until the bullet exits the muzzle, at which time the pressure within the gas system rapidly drops to atmospheric. Gas port diameter really controls resistance of gas entering the gas tube, that is how quickly it allows the gas tube to fill and the gas to reach the carrier key (gas lag time). The volume in the system is dependent on barrel length and gas tube length because both of these allow for more room for the gas to expand...as the gas is given more room to expand, the pressure within the system decreases. In short, you cannot affect volume or pressure of gas without also affecting the other; they are not independent.
    Thats exactly what i was thinking....Their dependent upon one another. So, a smaller GP would delay the pressure build up which would result in less pressure throughout the time of pressurization when compared to a larger port???
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 08-10-11 at 01:10.

Feedback Score
    There are more gas laws than just Mssr. Boyle's.

Yes, port size does matter, otherwise goofs with drills couldn't screw up otherwise properly-gassed rifles.

What the port size does, within limits, is act as a throttling aperture. a smaller port will delay pressurization, but the gas tube (the complete system) will reach full pressure, and quickly. The definition of work is "area under the curve." The delay may not have as much effect on work as you might think.

The system is just that: a system. you have a balance of pressure, onset time, gas expansion, dwell time, etc. Yes, you can change one of them, and the others will adjust, but you're just fiddling around on the margins.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234