Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After you pull the trigger

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Do you know why this is?
    One reason that I know is gas port erosion, which is linked to the distance from the chamber to the port.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    would have loved to see an extra line on that pressure curve graph fired with a suppressor

the date on that was '03, right? any progress made on ammo transferring heat somewhere besides the barrel in the last 5 years?

thx for posting, btw

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This thread is screamin' for a "Sticky".

Feedback Score
    i'm not a mechanical/materials engineer, holiday inn, yada yada, but that statement regarding removing heat from the action being one of the functions of the brass has sort of captured my attention for the moment.

Specifically, I'm wondering how brass vs steel cased cartridges would perform relatively at that task.

according to this site
    http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm

The specific heat for brass is .096 compared to .110 btu/lb/*F for steel, meaning, if I recollect my high school physics correctly, that steel has about a 15% advantage in storing heat (or rather, it takes 15% more energy to heat steel to the same temp as brass)

but more interesting is the thermal conductivity, where brass is 69.33 btu/(hr-ft-F) compared to 8.11 for steel.

(no wonder it's so hard to anneal brass properly!)

my question is, don't these numbers mean the chamber would stay somewhat cooler firing steel-cased ammo than brass-cased ammo?

would that difference be worth someone manufacturing quality steel-cased ammo?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A little on gas port erosion. A few years back I was working at a facility that had several hundred BM carbines that were being used for training. One thing that we were noticing is that some of the weapons were having gas related mafunctions even after we replaced the rings, gas tubes, checked the carrier keys, etc...When we borescoped the barrels we saw that the gas ports were significantly enlarged and probably were the cause as the gas wasn't properly regulated.

At that point we began replacing the barrels and problem was solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    One reason that I know is gas port erosion, which is linked to the distance from the chamber to the port.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

First time post here, but long time shooter and member of other forums.
    Anyway, I came across this thread while Googling for info on gas port pressure.
    Very interesting and detailed article, K.L. Davis, thanks.
    I have a couple of questions regarding this article and some other related ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post

Pressure from the port is regulated only by the size
    of the gas port and the diameter of the barrel.

One other problem is that the bolt can cycle so fast
    the magazine spring can not keep up with it and the
    round stack is not properly aligned and forced back
    into place before the bolt returns to batter --
    therefore there is no new cartridge picked up and the
    bolt closes on an empty chamber, this is what some
    call "ghost loading", or bolt-over-base jams... this
    is far worse in full auto fire as the bolt does
    actually move faster in full auto than semi auto; this
    is due to the fact that the top cartridge in the
    magazine does not apply force to the bottom to the
    bolt causing drag.

I can see how the port pressure would be affected by port diameter, but how would bore dia affect it? Is it a case of a larger bore creates a larger volume of gas to draw from? In which case, a larger bore gives greater port pressure?

Or do I have it backwards? Is it a situation where a .223 case necked up to 7mm as in the 7mm TCU has the same amount of powder, but is "spread thinner" in a larger bore? In which case, a 7mm TCU gives less pressure than a .223?

Or have I missed it completely?

Second, what do you mean by the FA being faster than the SA due to the round not applying drag to the bottom of the bolt in FA mode?
    I assumed that the cycling is the same, only difference being the secondary sear does not hold back the hammer.

Next, I realize this is a M4/AR15 forum, so this next question is not really relevant, but sort of related to gas systems in general.
    Does the size of the piston face make a difference? If a set amount of gas is tapped off a barrel, would a larger dia piston have more opening force than a smaller one? I would think so.

I have an interest in this stuff, so thanks to all that can offer answers.
    Can anyone recommend a good technical book that explains gun design and internal ballistics?

Cheers,

Dean

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Makes me want to build a 20" for sure now. lol
    http://www.m4carbine.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20651&dateline=1303766618

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Port size does not regulate pressure into the gas tube. It regulates flow (CFM, or Cubic Feet Per Minute) which determines how quickly the system fills and comes up to pressure.

Diameter of the piston that the gas applies force to does make a difference
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    Makes me want to build a 20" for sure now. lol
    Do it. Busting out the musket every now and again is a true pleasure. Nice smooth shooting with neat little piles of brass gently trinkling onto the dirt.

Last edited by markm; 06-10-11 at 08:46.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I remember reading this before.

This was fundamental in helping me to understand the AR gas system. Thank you for posting this then and now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast