Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a Glock well

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

The main thing that helps me shoot a Glock well is a new trigger stroke. Waiting for a surprise break as I would have with a proper match trigger takes so long that it actually makes groups bigger. Instead, I use the same vigorous, smooth press that I'd use on a staple gun, and it has cut my groups roughly in half. I also use a VERY firm grip--much firmer than I ever used on the match guns of my youth.
    Okie John
    Did you ever have the "left shift" problem? If so - did that clear up when you went to the "vigorous, smooth press"?????

TIA

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Did you ever have the "left shift" problem? If so - did that clear up when you went to the "vigorous, smooth press"?????
    My first Glock was a G19, and yes, I had that problem. I have no use for a gun that isn't zeroed, so I moved my sights to center the groups. As I kept shooting and learning the Glock trigger, my groups got smaller and slowly moved to the right. I readjusted the sights, which returned them more or less to their original position. That's where they are today. I have not had the problem with the other Glock pistols I've owned since then.

It's hard to say for sure, but discovering the vigorous press is probably what fixed it for me.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    I also suffer from this problem. It is frustrating to make 2-3" groups at 10 yards.... 2-3" to the left!

I want to like the NY1/- connector combo but on my G26 this results in a HEAVY trigger! it is tolerable in my 17 and 19 however.

Feedback Score
    The glock trigger is just "different" for me... once ingrained I shoot very well, but it is a perishable skill.

Not only a fine SA trigger is more user friendly, to me even a good DA trigger is easier to master, perhaps because I have a lot of trigger time with S&W revolvers.

The solution for a serious user would be to put 90% of the training time on the glock, then it would feel natural.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    After suffering the "shoot to the left" with my Glocks for years I finally found a solution that works for me.

First, I adjusted my grip on the gun by finding the "sweet spot" in the web of my hand. This resulted in a more off center grip than I was used to but the muscle of my thumb nested in the curve of the Glock grip more securely.

Second, and most important I now pull the trigger by consciously "curling" my finger allowing my knuckle to move away from the frame as the trigger is pulled. This results in a straight back press and prevents my trigger finger from hitting the side of the frame cutout at the end of the trigger stroke.

I have settled on the NY1 spring with the "-" connector and I pull the trigger like a double action revolver - briskly and right through.

It has taken about 1000 reps of dry fire to get this sorted out and if I am not paying attention during live fire I still get groups to the left. The trigger pull by "curling" my finger was the key.
    Last edited by DBR; 11-29-11 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Knowing what you're doing wrong is a HUGE step towards correcting your issues. What you are doing is "pushing" the gun under speed. You're not independently operating your trigger finger and watching your sights. Relax your strong hand and increase grip pressure with your off hand. Remember, when you tighten your strong hand you're going to influence the frame even more with the flesh of your index finger.

Keep working at it.
    thanks for the tip. Ive been dry firing so much that my trigger finger is actually tired

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    The Glock 19 was the first gun I trained with and I carry one daily, shoot one in competition and train with one regularly.

The diffuculty involved with shooting these little guns is borderline ridiculous. I have well over 10K rounds through 9mm Glocks and my proficiency with them dissipates quickly in an absence of practice.

I shot a bone stock M9 over Thanksgiving and it was SO EASY to shoot. Even the DA first pull. I'm seriously thinking about trying one out for a competition gun.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The main thing that helps me shoot a Glock well is a new trigger stroke. Waiting for a surprise break as I would have with a proper match trigger takes so long that it actually makes groups bigger. Instead, I use the same vigorous, smooth press that I'd use on a staple gun, and it has cut my groups roughly in half. I also use a VERY firm grip--much firmer than I ever used on the match guns of my youth.
    Very well said. I have experienced the exact same progression in my Glock shooting.

Edit: This is an excellent thread, gentlemen. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    I have all original components in mine, with no "trigger job" or modifications of any kind.
    There's no shame in using an OEM minus (-) connector. It made a HUGE difference for me.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    I am treating my shooting left problem like a golf game. Some days i hook right all day and other days i can hit it straight down the fairway and this will happen with no other changes to my stance or swing(that i feel anyway). So i now "shift my stance" to the way i am playing that day, meaning if i am hooking it right my stance is slightly left. I have been applying this reasoning to my Glock shooting. I have left my sights centered and will aim slightly to the right if i am hitting left that day, as some days i can shoot straight with no other changes in my grip. So far so good as this usually does not show much until past 15yds.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast