Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex Viper HS 1-4x24mm Review

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    The pictures are on a cloudy or overcast day. In bright sunlight on a bright background, the illumination washes out. Take a look at pictures from various reviews on the net.

From ths OP's comments above, "My biggest complaint, which is the complaint I have with really all of the optics in this class is the maximum brightness setting is simply not bright enough to see on a sunny day. It more than capable of performing in low light condition and overcast skies, but when the sun peeks out, forget it."
    I know that dude. you're losing your sense of humor...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Yep, even against grass or dark trees, on a sunny day the illumination washes out. I would agree with Alaska, its a lot of scope for the money, but if you really want a bright reticle, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for your review…

Based on your and others from various other forums, along with getting to actually handle and shoot a fellow club members set-up, I went with the PST with MOA reticle. This is my first go with a 1-4 scope and at $550 for the scope and a 30mm Bobro extended mount both LNIB. I'll take the advice of Alaska and others with a grain of salt and not get too disillusioned until I give it a fair chance. I handled the it on a pretty bright sunny day in our action bays this past summer and it seems good to go.
    Any advice outside of the usual regarding mounting and sighting the Viper PST? I'll be mounting it on my Daniel Defense M4V2 and using sighting it in with XM193

Feedback Score
    I don't think you can go wrong with LaRue stuff. I'd recommend the LaRue SPR-E (extended eye relief) mount, especially if you shoot nose to charging handle. The way I see it, it's a lot easier to move the thing back if you have too much eye relief, opposed to trying to find more rail space forward.

If its for work / defensive use, stick with the throw levers so you can pull it off quick if it takes a hit. Otherwise, if you're never planning on taking it off, their leverless mounts will save you a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    The only scopes with good daylight bright reticles are.
    1. S&B short dot
    2. Swarovski Z6i
    3. Meopta
    4. Trijicon TR24
    5. Elcan Spectar.
    Not in the same class as the above, the Burris FF TAC30 1-4x24mm scope is very bright on the brightest setting, approaching the brightness of an EOTech on its maximum setting (probably equal to an EOTech down 2 clicks from max, actually). It also has a fairly chunky reticle, all of which is illuminated, which makes the illumination quite effective and fast to use. It is at the opposite extreme of reticle design from the Viper HS reticle photos above. This is based on the TAC30 I own and use, but all reviews I've read of it are the same in terms of brightness. The replacement-to-be MTAC model is apparently not quite as bright at max, depending which review of the MTAC you read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12