Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would not trust a Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish, etc. bolt in a Valmet. Parts are getting very hard to get, especially for the 7.62x39mm guns, as not many were brought in.

Try cruising www.sturmgewehr.com, place a WTB ad. Also try www.theakforum.net, and place a want to buy ad. There are several Finnish collectors/shooters who sometimes participate there, and that will be your best bet.

Yes, you can put a Galil stock on a Valmet milled 62/S, but it's something only a seriously qualified AK smith should try.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    How do you guys rate the preban Chinese Polytech AKS -762?
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 11-12-09 at 21:40.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Rate pretty well - Polytech above a Norinco. Apparent in the $ premium they demand.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    My first choice for a semi would be the Steyr imported Maadi from Egypt.

I think they are one of the most beautiful Classic style looking AK47 type rifles made. Wish they would be imported again at old prices.

Feedback Score
    I too looked at henderson defense's website and just found "certified" centurys so I'm assuming you would rather go with the interarms?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    When looking at AK's to verify if the barrel is original or US made, are there visible details an untrained eye can pick up on? I read that some US barrels dont have relief cuts, chamber polishing, etc.. is there a source for images of 1 vs the other?

Thanks for any info. Im concluding its just better to pay the extra and buy an Arsenal that states the details rather than trying to find a "deal."
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    Anybody know anything about Allied Armament?
    This one specifically, http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=238582.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-10-11 at 11:57.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" Thomas Jefferson
    "Civilization is a wonderful, but paper thin concept" JW777

Feedback Score
    What are you thoughts on this russian RAK ak. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx

I'm trying to look for an original look of the ak47. Not trying to spend an arm and a leg but i am willing to spend a little more for a quality ak47. Also, it will need to be cali compliant for me (16inch barrel and bullet button)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Anybody know anything about Allied Armament?
    This one specifically, http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=238582.
    From what I remember they were ok builds, but there's a reason why they're showing a picture with the safety off. The NDS-3 is the economy receiver and frequently there will be a gap between the safety lever and the rim of the dustcover when the safety is in the on position. Shouldn't effect functioning, but it's annoying. Why they didn't just spend a little more money to do it right and use one of the NDS premium receivers, I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfreakarms View Post
    What are you thoughts on this russian RAK ak. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx

I'm trying to look for an original look of the ak47. Not trying to spend an arm and a leg but i am willing to spend a little more for a quality ak47. Also, it will need to be cali compliant for me (16inch barrel and bullet button)
    If you can get past that it's a SAIGA and will have the AK-74 90* gas block vs. the 45* gas block of an AKM, I'd say fine.

No country ever nickeled their bolt carriers either.

It won't look like an AKM to anyone who's familiar with AK's. If you'd be happy with it, rock on.

I'd personally suggest hitting the Easy button and just get one of the Cali compliant Arsenal SGL's. (and consider moving to a free state)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    When looking at AK's to verify if the barrel is original or US made, are there visible details an untrained eye can pick up on? I read that some US barrels dont have relief cuts, chamber polishing, etc.. is there a source for images of 1 vs the other?

Thanks for any info. Im concluding its just better to pay the extra and buy an Arsenal that states the details rather than trying to find a "deal."

If you have an opportunity to field strip the rifle, take the gas tube off and look down onto the barrel and you'll see all kinds of proof and arsenal marks. Every foreign AK barrel is going to have something like that.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast