Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrell macabe View Post
    The only thing I see that is not here is whether or not it makes a good jack handle in a pinch. I have never thought too much about buying one, yet reading your posts makes me want to. Plus, you do it in a professional, non arrogant manner. Great job.

Thanks. That post was written originally in 2006, and a lot of things have changed.

I'll have to work up an updated addition to try to make it more relevant.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 11-21-10 at 18:43.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks Templar, I have a feeling the guy was just trying to get my dad to buy an SGL because he had them at the show and he would have to order an SLR since he didn't have any there.

Feedback Score
    I noticed the safety lever tab appears to be closer to the rear than on other AK's. Is this native to the yugo AK? Is it more functional than the traditional safety levers?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    I noticed the safety lever tab appears to be closer to the rear than on other AK's. Is this native to the yugo AK? Is it more functional than the traditional safety levers?

I honestly never really noticed a difference in the ergos between a Yugo lever and any other military lever.

The Yugo underfolders have a safety that has an extra tab towards the rear of the lever that makes it much easier to disengage the safety while the stock is folded, but it doesn't necessarily make it faster or easier vs. a standard selector, or allow you to disengage the selector without breaking your master grip.

This is a pic that I took....6 years ago, of the Mitchell Arms imported Yugo I had. It also shows the construction of the Yugo reinforced RPK type receiver and trunnion.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Whenever I see the picture of that Trijicon TA11 on the M16A2...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVekNsgUqn4

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I was always a huge fan of the Egyptian MISR's they are much better than the rest of the pack and are as close to original soviet AKM's as I could ever get but if the threads were removed they serve me no purpose, gotta have my brakes
    Job 38:11 "thus far you shall come, but no further; and here shall your proud waves stop!

Feedback Score
    Read through this thread twice last night and my head's a buzz and still absorbing the information that Templar posted at the outset after the OP's.

What tuned me into this particular thread is because a fellow at work is selling his AK-47 that piqued my interest, and I don't know nothing for nothing about these particular rifles. Will have to find out more information about his AK-47, if it hasn't been sold already!

Feedback Score
    I'm more of an 'assault weapons' collector so I generally lean toward the more difficult items to acquire, that said, I am a big fan of Polyteck AK's. Problem is, they were only imported for two years (1988 and 1989), as one might imagine, this makes them relatively difficult to acquire.
    That said, they are some of the finest AKs money can buy. They were built to Chinese military specs , with the exception of being full auto.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_ View Post
    What would one look for if they decided to buy an AK? Is there a preferred manufacture / type?

You can not go wrong with an IMI Galil...... You will get a milled receiver, 5.56mm 1 / 7 barrel, a longer sight radius, and outstanding quality and fit, but you do pay for all that, they are not cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    KATAR, I have one of these Valmets, rather most of one. I received it in a trade years ago minus the bolt group and the stock.

If so where can I purchase the bolt group, I had thought of a Galil set up, Advice please.

Dirk
    The early IMI Galils were all built in Israel on Valmet receivers that were imported from the land of the Vikings, so if you use original IMI Galil AR parts, they should interchange with no issues… What caliber Valmet do you have and exactly what parts do you need???

B
    Last edited by Buck; 09-16-09 at 17:11.
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Galil/Valmet

Sorry for the delay I work in another state and am not able to chat when away from home. I have a fairly clean Valmet 7.62X39, 62/S. I'm missing the complete bolt group and the stock assembly. I'd like to put the proper parts back in the gun but am willing to purchase what ever will work.

Ive had this gun in the closet for about 10 years now and would like to make it work. I suspect someone tried to turn the gun on and hosed the bolt no idea where the stock went.

Also will the stock from the Galil fit this receiver?.

Thank you in for the return data.
    Dirk Williams

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast