Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i trade my SCAR 17 for a Colt 901?

Feedback Score
    2 (67%)

Should i trade my SCAR 17 for a Colt 901?

So here's my story. I was one of the guys who was super pumped about the 901 and have had one on order since July. Been a Colt fan/lover my whole life. Never had my order fulfilled which i was ok with as i tend to be a patient character and didn't mind waiting. Then Sandy Hook happened.

The day after it happened i checked on my Colt and still had no ETA, so i went to my local gun store to see what they had and i ended up coming home with a New FN SCAR 17 in FDE.

Have shot around 100 rounds through it, and absolutely love the SCAR. Amazing platform.

This brings me to why i decided to get some feedback from you guys. I was recently asked if i would trade the SCAR for a NIB Colt LE-901. Now, this is the gun i have been after for a long while. My white whale of sorts. As you can imagine, it's no easy call as i had no idea how great the SCAR is.

I have yet to handle a 901 but i am definitely an AR and Colt lover but at the same time love the FN. I have my ear to the ground, what do you guys think? Any 901 owners have any input?
    Last edited by M-FOURTEEN; 02-07-13 at 11:06.
    Garry Owen!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    No way I would consider that unless there was a decent chunk of cash coming back your way. Not to mention I think the SCAR is a better weapon to have long term. The Colt will be a dime a dozen dow the road...

Feedback Score
    I hesitate to reply, as I haven't shot the 901, but have handled one in the store. I think the 901 and SCAR are very different weapons. The 901 seems much heavier and less nimble to me, and I think the SCAR's strong point is it's lightness for a 308.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    accuracy on either?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I own neither platform, but I don't think I myself would make that trade. In my mind the guns are unique enough that I could justfiy saving some money and buying the Colt at a later date. However, I have always fancied myself as more of a collector and I enjoy having a variety of different guns.

That said if I was limited to a single choice right now I would probably stick with the SCAR. The aftermarket has started to catch up for it and its a more proven platform at this point. The Colt, on the other hand, is still relatively new and I don't think anyone can definitively say that's its GTG to just yet. It also doesn't have the same level of aftermarket support yet, and while some standard AR parts like stocks and FCGs will work with it, your still limited to the factory upper and barrel at this point.

Feedback Score
    There are 2 levels in competition here:
    A functional level--is the SCAR roughly the equivalent to the 901. Functionally, mission wise I think the case can be made that they are equal. Both are high quality. A 308 AR does not have the parts interchangability that a 556 AR does, so the advatages of the AR platform are largely negated, but there is a SMALL advantage to the 901 Platform wise, although the SCAR is catching up with parts/triggers/barrels.

Personal Level--this is the "fanboy" section (I realize that is a very strong term, but its gotten very bad lately). Some people have brand loyalty and have to have a "Colt" There is nothing wrong per-se with being a "fanboy" as long as you realize that is a not material to the function of the weapon.

So if you must have a Colt then you are going to get the Colt despite anything we say here.

But function wise, I do not see much advantage to a switch, particularly if you already enjoy the SCAR.

Money wise the difference is $500-600 in a normal market which may double in the current market (I haven't seen any 901s for sale, used SCARs are regularly selling for 4-5000). So a straight up trade will cost you $1000 or so in loss of collateral value. (Aka I don't think the 901 is worth as much monetarily as the SCAR).

That's half the price of a 901, if and when they become more avilable. Thats a big IF, even with the winds blowing our way. I know I come off as very anti-Colt, but when I look at a firearm, I try and look without emotional attachment to the company. You have the SCAR, no one will dispute that it is a quality weapon. Why do you need the 901, and I say "need" as this is a seller's market, not a buyer's market. You are a buyer. Bad time to make a purchase unless you really need it. And frankly I just don't see it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nope, absolutely not.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would much rather own the SCAR than the 901, but I guess it depends on what your plans are for the rifle. Just a range toy? Using for hunting? All of my rifles I also want to use for hunting, which for me equates to lots of walking through the Sandhills. So the lighter the better for me. I haven't held a 901 but if it weighs anything like a DPMS LR-308 then I would hate carrying it. My brother has an LR-308 and he bitches all day when we go hunting about how heavy it is.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The value of dumping a non-standard gun is high in my book. Negotiate the 901 and some cash or something.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own neither platform but I would do the trade.
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast