Page 32 of 210 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post

2.) DO NOT USE THE .40 CAL EXTRACTOR IN 9MM GLOCKS.
    Did he give a specific reason for this? It seems to have cured the issue with my new 3rd Gen 19.

I think the stove pipe that I had out of the first mag was a fluke, I haven't seen any more with either extractor. There is a noticable difference in the ejection pattern when switching between the two though. Original 'dipped' extractor throws brass like Helen Keller on crack, with 10-20% contacting my forehead with the following rounds:

Remington Golden Saber 9mm Luger +P 124gr (GS9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger +P 124gr (F08E21)
    Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm Luger +P+ 127gr (RA9TA)
    Fiocchi 9mm Luger 115gr (9AP)
    Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr (Q4318)

The .40 extractor gives a good solid 4 o'clockish ejection and no brass to face thus far.

ETA: Additional specs on this 19 so you don't have to backtrack and find them:

'dipped' extractor
    336 ejector
    RTX serial #
    Case fire date: 7 July 2011
    Last edited by MrSmitty; 02-14-12 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    quick stop at the range today, only 2 mags, 30 rounds.

gen 4 g19 336 dipped 043 rsa

495 rounds through it in about 17 days

Most recent 30 rounds erratic ejection 1 to the lip

multiple to the right shoulder

few forward at 1 o'clock

1 stovepipe

Ammo was federal 115 gr fmj. Never had an issue with this ammo with other firearms.

I can handle the ejection, it's still a pain in the ass, what I can't handle is FTE.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmitty View Post
    Did he give a specific reason for this? It seems to have cured the issue with my new 3rd Gen 19.

I think the stove pipe that I had out of the first mag was a fluke, I haven't seen any more with either extractor. There is a noticable difference in the ejection pattern when switching between the two though. Original 'dipped' extractor throws brass like Helen Keller on crack, with 10-20% contacting my forehead with the following rounds:

Remington Golden Saber 9mm Luger +P 124gr (GS9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger +P 124gr (F08E21)
    Winchester Ranger T-Series 9mm Luger +P+ 127gr (RA9TA)
    Fiocchi 9mm Luger 115gr (9AP)
    Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr (Q4318)

The .40 extractor gives a good solid 4 o'clockish ejection and no brass to face thus far.

ETA: Additional specs on this 19 so you don't have to backtrack and find them:

'dipped' extractor
    336 ejector
    RTX serial #
    Case fire date: 7 July 2011
    indeed what was the reason given

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    The more I read this thread, the more I want to keep my eyes open for any used Gen 2 Glocks in good condition even if the price seems high.
    Amen. When Chuck Taylor's gun goes into the six digit round count with minimal to no parts replacement it really makes me think Glock is into a massive public relations campaign more than a quality control effort.

Once upon a time Glocks (and I mean 9mm) would digest nearly any quality ammo and would last (relatively) forever. Now that is not necessarily the case.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-14-12 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalms144.1 View Post
    OK, just back from the range. 3rd Gen G19, produced 10/2011, dip extractor, 336 ejector. 200 rounds fired by me and another experienced Glock shooter. All issue M882 NATO ball ammunition.

27 instances of brass ejected into our foreheads, or over our heads between 4-7 o'clock.

Just as a reminder, this is a replacement for the Gen4 abortion that they sent as a replacement for a 3rd Gen G19 with the same problem, that I bought as a replacement for an early 2010 Gen4 G19 that wouldn't reliably function with our issued JHP ammo. Four pistols, 16 months, 0% success rate.

But, I'm sure I (and everyone else who fired each of the previous pistols) is just limp wristing...
    Did u swap to a new aftermarket extractor yet? I would not be expecting any stock glock in the current state of affairs to perform without some erratic ejection. I believe the purpose of his thread is to establish what the fix is.
    Last edited by trinydex; 02-14-12 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    The more I read this thread, the more I want to keep my eyes open for any used Gen 2 Glocks in good condition even if the price seems high.
    I did just that yesterday. Picked up a nice gen 2 17 made in December 91.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    indeed what was the reason given
    Reasons he gave in the discussion were that it is designed for an entirely different case rim and cartridge. Stated that this should NOT be done and goes against the design of the pistol. Also stated to try another OEM 9mm extractor before assuming you need to replace it with a different designed extractor. The "dip" extractor that individuals are referring to as, "the problem" has been in use as I stated and quoted above, in hundreds of thousands perhaps millions of trouble free Glock 9mm pistols.

Order a 9mm extractor from Glock and see what happens. Just sayin. Again, I am merely a messenger reporting what I discussed today on the phone with Smyrna.....
    Last edited by TacMedic556; 02-14-12 at 16:56. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a load of bs

My problems personally were with a brand spanking new Gen 4 having problems consistently from round 1 to 1k. My Gen 3 has over 10k rounds and never had any issues. This is the general consensus I'm seeing. Experts like Apex are even seeing these problems. All your source did was give a lame excuse about needing to change springs and almost saying "the problems don't really exist!"

Feedback Score
    Reasons he gave in the discussion were that it is designed for an entirely different case rim and cartridge. Stated that this should NOT be done and goes against the design of the pistol. Also stated to try another OEM 9mm extractor before assuming you need to replace it with a different designed extractor. The "dip" extractor that individuals are referring to as, "the problem" has been in use as I stated and quoted above, in hundreds of thousands perhaps millions of trouble free Glock 9mm pistols.

Order a 9mm extractor from Glock and see what happens. Just sayin. Again, I am merely a messenger reporting what I discussed today on the phone with Smyrna.....

Thanks for the info TacMedic. Lot of great info there! I always try to keep my glocks as stock as possible. I think they probably will be more combat reliable that way. about only thing I do to mine is the fine polishing of trigger parts shown in the video and change the connector to 3.5 lbs and I sometimes wonder if the connector swap is a bad idea, as I wonder if it really does any good (seems like it might cause a little stacking on the trigger pull.)
    I'm just going to monitor threads for a while before doing anything.
    Last edited by wildmanjeff; 02-14-12 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    4.) Glocks are a military pistol and test fired with 147 grain military pressure ammo at the factory.
    Glock tests with "147 grain military pressure ammo"?

Page 32 of 210 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast