Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR questions...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You are dangerously close to opening a few different cans of worms !

The really short answer is that the orange search button and time spent with it will give you more answers than you will want/need.

The slightly longer and more helpful answer is than carbine-length gas systems are 7" long, and mid-length are 9". You gain some space behind your FSB, and an oft-debated reduction in recoil/violence to your gun with the middy.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Not to continue beating a dead horse but, as someone who has been where you are at, I think the best advice is to to get a quality basic model (the PSA rifle or Colt 6920 linked in above posts would be a good start) and shoot a few thousand rounds through it. You can do all the theoretical research you want, but until you get a rifle in your hands and shoot it, you will have no clue what works for you when it comes to modifications. Only after you have actually used the rifle for more then plinking can you start to know what you want to upgrade.

That is my .02 but I think it will save you money in the long run on stuff that you didn't really need in the first place.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the advice, but how is that going to help me understand barrel length, hand guards and various parts I am simply asking questions about? I have shot a rifle before so I am not completely new to the concept.

There is a lot of good advice and information in these many posts, for those who contributed Thanks.

Im tired... feeling grumpy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The difference between a carbine length and mid-length (or middy) gas system is in the distance from the chamber end of the barrel to the gas port. At what point the distance is measured from, I am uncertain. As noted earlier, the carbine has a 7 inch gas system and the middy has a 9 inch gas system.

As the bullet travels down the barrel and the gases expand, pressure drops. The pressure used to operate the rifle with a 7 inch gas sytem is higher than with a 9 inch gas system. Each length has it's strengths and weaknesses. Some feel the longer gas system has a softer recoil.

(Some will tell you the recoil is lessened, but that isn't true. Using identical ammunition in rifles identical in every way with the exception of gas system tuning- including gas system length- recoil energy will be the same. What will differ is how the recoil feels.)

I have a 16" middy carbine with a stainless steel gov profile barrel and a friend has a 16" Colt M4 with a carbine gas system. Both rifles shoot fine and there isn't enough difference between the two for us to bother arguing about. I like my rifle better, but that's because it's the one I chose
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-01-11 at 00:53.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
    I appreciate the advice, but how is that going to help me understand barrel length, hand guards and various parts I am simply asking questions about? I have shot a rifle before so I am not completely new to the concept.

There is a lot of good advice and information in these many posts, for those who contributed Thanks.

Im tired... feeling grumpy.
    http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...carbine+length

Feedback Score
    Ok, I have been reading and researching and like the parts/specs of this rifle...http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...?shop=1&cat=76

I also like the price which is in the low end of my range for a good starter.

I am curious if anybody has one of these or what you have heard about this company, good or bad I would like your feedback.

if the above link does not work I will leave this here...http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...?shop=1&cat=76
    Last edited by jsf343; 10-01-11 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    For that price I would consider this BCM. Or wait for Grant to get Colt 6920s back in stock.

What is it about the CMMG specs that you like? Both of the above rifles are empirically better and a touch cheaper.

Just remembered that crazy PSA deal here. For $1000 You get what should be a quality starter rifle and an Aimpoint PRO.
    "A tit in hand is worth two in the window"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post
    Ok, I have been reading and researching and like the parts/specs of this rifle...http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...?shop=1&cat=76

I also like the price which is in the low end of my range for a good starter.

I am curious if anybody has one of these or what you have heard about this company, good or bad I would like your feedback.

if the above link does not work I will leave this here...http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...?shop=1&cat=76
    Here's the thing....CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River Arms, Del-Ton are not known for making quality firearms. There are a variety of corners that they are reputed to cut in their design and in their quality control. That's fine...for a lot of people who only drill occasional holes, a cheap "imported" drill from Harbor Freight will work just fine. The problem in this case is that those firearms companies' market penetration is such that people assume they must be better, and end up spending as much or almost as much as they would for a quality firearm from BCM, Daniel Defense, even Colt (which is still the standard by which other rifles are judged).

So...if you're just looking for a range toy to shoot a few hundred rounds a year, that tier of rifles might work fine for you. If you're looking for a good, reliable rifle that will last you trouble free for decades, you'd be better off spending a little more and getting a lot more rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Here's the thing....CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River Arms, Del-Ton are not known for making quality firearms. There are a variety of corners that they are reputed to cut in their design and in their quality control. That's fine...for a lot of people who only drill occasional holes, a cheap "imported" drill from Harbor Freight will work just fine. The problem in this case is that those firearms companies' market penetration is such that people assume they must be better, and end up spending as much or almost as much as they would for a quality firearm from BCM, Daniel Defense, even Colt (which is still the standard by which other rifles are judged).

So...if you're just looking for a range toy to shoot a few hundred rounds a year, that tier of rifles might work fine for you. If you're looking for a good, reliable rifle that will last you trouble free for decades, you'd be better off spending a little more and getting a lot more rifle.
    ok, that was what I thought and very good advice. I am willing to spend a bit more for something that IS reliable, will be trouble free and will last for many many years.

Feedback Score
    After considering what folks have said and reading hours of threads, comments and talking to friends with AR's, I have narrowed down my choices and am heavily leaning towards a Daniel Defense. The hard part now is deciding which particular model to pursue. I think I like the lightweight version(s) the best. I feel this is going to set me up well and meet the criteria I am looking for...

1. want something for the really long term that will hold up for thousands of rounds/years of use.
    2. something with high quality and proven parts.
    3. modifiable.
    4. around the price range of $1500.00

If anyone has one of these or has shot one I would love to hear your feedback. I am to the point I am ready to buy, take a class or two and get shooting! Its almost like Christmas, I can't wait.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast